VOGONS

First post, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a little problem with PC*Bert on DOSBox: When I start a game, the sound works for some seconds and the disappears and reappears at random throughout the game. I fiddled around with the mixer settings, the CPU settings, even the dos settings in the conf-file I created for the game, but so far without success. I even tried the latest official 0.74 release, to rule out any problem with never SVN builds, but that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Try increasing the cycles setting. On my system the issue is avoided with cycles=max or sufficiently high fixed cycles.

Real mode games were less prevalent in the late 90's, and it's not a bad idea to preemptively increase cycles to something reasonable for PCs of that time, because the games often need it and cycles=auto doesn't automatically switch to max cycles in real mode.

Reply 2 of 7, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Try increasing the cycles setting. On my system the issue is avoided with cycles=max or sufficiently high fixed cycles.

In fact, cycles are already set to "max" because I noticed some slowdown with the 3000 cycles the "auto" setting deemed sufficient. I also tried several settings for core and cpu type. I tried the game on two different PCs as well, my netbook and my desktop.

Which are your settings for PC*Bert?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 3 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Default settings, except for changing cycles. The effect of max cycles can vary with host speed, so try various amount of fixed cycles, e.g. cycles=10000, cycles=15000, etc.

Reply 4 of 7, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That didn't help either. I created a new config file in DOSBox (config -wc) and changed only the cycles. 10000, 15000, 50000, 150000, 250000... it doesn't matter, the sound still disappears and reaapears every now and then.

Reply 5 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've so far been unable to reproduce the situation where the sound cuts out on my system except with low cycles. This is using a Win32 build of current source and the official 0.74 Win32 build. Maybe others will report their experience with the game, and then perhaps some common factor can be identified.

Reply 6 of 7, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh my god, this is so embarrassing... 😢

I found the solution to my problem: I changed the controls for Player 1 to Q,W,A,S. Nothing wrong with that, you'd think. The readme file doesn't mention it, but obviously "Q" already has a fixed function: It quiets the game! So, whenever I pressed "Q" the game went mute, whereas it unmuted whenever I pressed it again. Since I was pressing the button a lot, making Q*Bert go up left, sometimes the sound stayed muted, other times it didn't, depending how fast and often I pressed the button...

So, nothing wrong with the game, DOSBox or my config, it was just a hidden option! Please close this thread now, so that it may disappear in the deep, deep bowels of the forum, hopefully never to be found again! 😉

Reply 7 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Heh, well, perhaps the part about increasing cycles will help someone reading the thread; because even if the sound doesn't cut out entirely, it's likely to be less than smooth with default cycles.