VOGONS

USNF 97

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone got this game work?

Reply 4 of 11, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, but Jane's FA has issue with Ukraine campaign, the screen goes 'Could not set video mode 1'. I know there is a fix that will skip the cut scene, but I hope there is a fix that gets the cut scenes played.

What is a frame limiter? Can it be included in USNF?

Reply 5 of 11, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muz wrote:

Yes, but Jane's FA has issue with Ukraine campaign, the screen goes 'Could not set video mode 1'. I know there is a fix that will skip the cut scene, but I hope there is a fix that gets the cut scenes played.

What is a frame limiter? Can it be included in USNF?

Frame limiter / Speedlock is the functionality that was added to prevent the game from running too fast, on computers that can easily render >60 FPS in this game. But this only applies to the patched versions of Jane's ATF and FA, unfortunately Jane's never provided such a patch for USNF '97.
There is no solution AFAIK, no unofficial patch, just workarounds. Like another option is just using DosBox with USNF for DOS.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 11, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can run USNF'97 with PCem running Windows 95 for exapmle. With most powerful emulated configuration available atm you can get up to 20FPS with 640x480 and most graphical settings turned on (I turned off textured sky and sea). It's not perfect but it is playable. But as gerwin said the best solution is to play the DOS version (preferably Gold release) under DOSBox. You won't get Vietnam Campaign though as it was only available under Windows versions only (USNF'97, FA) but with today hardware you can get 50+ FPS easily, just be sure not to set the cycles in DOSBox to high as the DOS version also doesn't have frame limiter implemented and you can have issues with completing some missions - I experienced this when mission accomplish wouldn't trigger despite having done everything right (I had to protect friendly ground units). Only after I decreased the cycles before playing again I could accomplish the mission. I recommend setting the cycles to 250 000 - 300 000 max.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 10 of 11, by bellarmine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure if you'll see this Muz, but I run the original DOS version of U.S. Navy Fighters inside DOSBox, runs perfect on my 2Ghz dual core. Speed good, MIDI always works, everything good. You can also find a version called "US Navy Fighters Gold" or "Marine Fighters" expansion pack. Same DOS game with all the VOTL Vertical Takeoff aircraft and I think another campaign. I think it make it the same as USNF '97, except it runs in DOS, which these days with DOS Box can sometimes be better than a quirky native 95/98 game.

Also see how I managed to get the MIDI music working in USNF 97 under XP, and also in Fighter's Anthology (FA). I think FA runs well in XP with a patch that fixes the super fast speed.
Re: US Navy Fighters '97 / Fighters Anthology music problem

Cheers! Bellarmine

When working on a job, you have 3 criteria: Fast, Good, and Cheap (i.e., Quick, High Quality, and Low Cost). Only 2 out of 3 are practical.