VOGONS

First post, by nugget232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game freezes on the main text screen (i.e. "Copyright blah blah, Programmed by Probe etc")..

Looked under games section to see jackal had the same problem, but then apparently fixed it later on- good to know, except he didnt mention how.

"Jackal (2003-12-07 08:54) Jackal
Game freezes at main "text" screen.

Another test: (2003-12-09 05:25) Jackal
New test: game works ok, but runs too slow. But its playable if you set
game details to low. PIII 800 512MBRAM."

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening? Running dosbox 0.61..

Specs: Athlon XP 1800 1.53ghz, ATi Radeon 9000 Pro 64mb DDR, WinXP Pro Service Pack 1, Epox 8K3A+ Mobo, 512mb PC2100 DDR Ram.

Reply 1 of 11, by Alexsource

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just seem your post and tryed to run mk2 in dosbox and got the exactly same problem. I've tryed 2500 and 10000 cycles at all the cpu cores, and it hunged up at the copyright screen eveery single time.
Also gave it a go with sound disabled, but still the same...

My specs:AMD Duron 1200+, 256MB RAM (32 shared with video card), SiS motherboard with SiS 630/630 video card and Sis 718 Sound card, windows xp pro service pack 1.
(BTW, I'm using Boxer V0.61.5 to launch dosbox)

Reply 3 of 11, by Alexsource

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pressing esc or whatever other key does nothing.
BUT! It seems i was too rush, and didn't wait long enough 😜 You see, in the real thing, that screen stayed there for less than 10 seconds (5 seconds, I think...I guess it must do some kind of cycle counting to calculate time, as in win xp it stays in that screen for only one second), and yes, you were able to skip it, but now it stays for over 22 seconds 🤣 sorry about that 😅
It works great even at high detail. 😎 (but i should do more testing later)
Besides from that, it seems to do the same thing that mk1 and quick menu 3.1a on this box. It can't create/save the configuration file (though, as well as with mk1, you can do it just fine from win xp). Tryed mounting with the -ioctl command just in case, but it still did the same thing (couldn't save the configuration)

chronos.jpg motoakira.jpg

Reply 5 of 11, by nugget232

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

posting in the games section aint workin right now for me as I cant login?
it's the right password (I get wrong pass if I type something else) but it just doesnt login.. I'll try again later tonight.

Reply 7 of 11, by Alexsource

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone else having the saving settings problems?? It might not a big deal with mk1 or 2, but, yet it's like some kind of a bug. In games with savestates system like adventure games, this could be a real pain 😜 (note: i'm being hipotetical here, i tried a couple of adventure games and they seem to work fine)
Could this be a file system problem? Or maybe it has something to do with the way the games tries to open/create/modify/save the configuration files? 😕

Reply 10 of 11, by Alexsource

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tryed that before and it didn't work. But, somehow, now it saves the file, mk2 that is. That is, i guess, because i've found out a data file was corrupted so i installed a different version of mk2... don't know if this is paossible.
Hey, I've realized the reason why it would'nt write to comso in mk1 is beacuse the atribute is set to system file. Apparently, it was packed with this atribute, so that was the reason why only windows xp was able to use tehm correctly (both mk1 and 2). I've deleted the file, since i couldn't find the damn option in the file porpiertes, then ran the game and now it works like a charm! 🤣 😅 I apologyse again 😜
It also seems to be that windows likes to add that atribute by itself 😜. It had just happened once a few minutes ago. weird. maybe i'm just doing something wrong...

Reply 11 of 11, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might not have been doing anything wrong. It might have been a virus at the time. Because I remember having a similar problem when I was downloading things from the Internet and some of my files started to "disappear." Apparently this unknown virus had masked my files with hidden/system attributes. It was very annoying. The only way to change these kinds of settings is to going into the Windows DOS Prompt aka CMD. And then use the "attrib" function. Gah it's annoying but now that's been over for several months now and it's all back to normal. 😀

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.