VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a couple of doubts about the CD version of this game...

1) Do all copies have the same bug regarding the "Irak '93" campaign? In every copy I've seen, selecting those missions then starting the game causes a crash.

7sZUkfz.png

2) Is there any way to correct said bug? There's a patch for the game at The Patch Scrolls, but only applies to the floppy version.

Reply 1 of 8, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am just talking from the top of my head, but many of the CD versions of early 90s games were just the floppy version with added FMV and audio content. Have you looked into seeing if the files in the patch might possibly work with the CD version? Manual file manipulation? I have done this in the long gone past on a few occasions with mixed results. Probably not, but worth a look.

Reply 2 of 8, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good thinking, but no, it doesn't work. Seems that the bug affects only the CD-ROM version, you can play the Iraq '93 campaign in the floppy version.

Can't believe they released the game with such an obvious bug and that they didn't bother to patch it.

Reply 3 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It seems you just need to copy one file from the CD-ROM to the installation directory to get the Iraq '93 missions working:

Assuming that the current directory is the installation directory and that the CD is mounted on D:

COPY D:\F15\FS\DS.REL

Reply 5 of 8, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote:

It seems you just need to copy one file from the CD-ROM to the installation directory to get the Iraq '93 missions working:

Assuming that the current directory is the installation directory and that the CD is mounted on D:

COPY D:\F15\FS\DS.REL

How did you narrow it down to that file? What is DS.REL? Thanks.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:

How did you narrow it down to that file?

One way to do it would be to use a debug-enabled version of DOSBox: the debug window tracks which files a program is trying to access, making it relatively easy to spot when a program is trying to access a file that doesn't exist.

What is DS.REL?

The file the program is looking for. 🤣

Reply 8 of 8, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
liqmat wrote:

How did you narrow it down to that file?

One way to do it would be to use a debug-enabled version of DOSBox: the debug window tracks which files a program is trying to access, making it relatively easy to spot when a program is trying to access a file that doesn't exist.

Thanks for the info.

Jorpho wrote:

The file the program is looking for. 🤣

Well now that you explained it that way the anals of DS.REL and DOSBox seem so much clearer.

https://youtu.be/JbVItpQp7BI