VOGONS

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the old demo version of Star Control II from here, and while it seems to work fine in DOSBox the colours in the game are too dark, even though the intro sequence does not seem to have this problem:
59JzDuH.png Z4sHQd7.png

Except from the very dark colours, the demo apparently works fine in terms of playability, you can even save your game etc.

This seems to be completely different from the palette glitch issue in the full game which has been reported numerous times here (e.g. in this thread). I've checked a YouTube recording of Star Control II gameplay, and it appears that the colours are supposed to fade in to full brightness at the start of the game but this does not happen in the demo.

I have tried using different DOSBox settings, including setting cpu type to 386, minimizing RAM and VRAM, and turning off Sound Blaster emulation, to no effect. The problem persists both in vanilla DOSBox and SVN Daum builds as well. A quick check of messages at Google Groups suggests that back in the day people could play the demo normally without any issues of this kind.

Any idea what could be the cause?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The full game has a color palette issue on some VGA cards that can be solved with the /g:bios command line switch. However, DOSBox emulates the quirk of the VGA DAC that the game uses, so the command line switch should not be needed with 0.74 or SVN.

The demo (and only the demo) has an issue with system speed regarding the palette fade. In DOSBox the default 3000 cycles results in a very incomplete fade-in, ~2000 cycles is less dark, and ~1000 cycles is more-or-less full brightness. After the fade-in you can bump cycles up with Ctrl-F12 if desired. Note that when booting real DOS in DOSBox it isn't necessary to go as low with cycles because there is more overhead in the code executed by DOS functions.