VOGONS

First post, by eobet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone gotten this to work?

In 0.61, it says to turn off the memory manager, but I know that Ultima 7 has the most evil custom memory manager ever created...

...I will try to get around this when I get home, but I just wanted to know if anyone has already tried this or not?

PS. Yes, I know about Exult, but they're apparently just guessing how the game works, and I want the real deal.

Reply 6 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@XPuntar:
Well, the guy said he knows about Exult already, but he is interested in the real game (see the PS. part). I guess that this was what Harekiet meant.

BTW: When using dynamic core in current CVS the game runs acceptable on my 1 Ghz Athlon (although I did not test much, just run a bit around Trinsic).

Mirek

Reply 7 of 9, by nutball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, i got the game running really smooth on an Athlon XP 2400 at 3500 cycles and the music plays fine but had to up the blocksize or whatever for the sound to 8mb. The problem i am having is the speech, at the intro with the red face in a dream or something, it says "AVA" as in AVATAR but then cuts out and i can't figure out why. Does anyone else have this problem? I get kindov obsessive about getting "the whole experience" from a game.

[ 😀 ] I used to play this game on an old dual 486 tower, you could stick 8 hard disks in the thing it's HUGE, the power supply alone is almost as big as my box now, heh heh.

😀

Reply 8 of 9, by Antagonist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I played U7 under Exult and I didn't notice any drastic changes.

Quite the contrary there are some improvements over the original game like digital music, enhanced combat and interface options and the use of scalers which make the game looks less blocky. You should give it definitaly a try.

I don't want to offend the DOSBox Team because the made it possible for me to play many games which I thought were lost to me for all times, but I prefer to use specially tailored emulators like ScummVM or Exult if they are available.

With best regards
Antagonist

Reply 9 of 9, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol with Dynamic core the game can run REALLY good 😀. Practically no Lagging like it had originally when I used to play it on my 386 computer 🤣.

Exult is nice, but they don't care to implement any thing based on the original music from the Soundblaster soundcard. Also the intro is was just hacked together and they did nothing to make any speed controlling of it. Also they hacked around with party formation and stuff. There's a LOT changed you just need to know about the game in full. 😀

I just don't like my games messed around with unless you are fixing bugs.
I do build EXULT every now and then too see what's been going on.

Honestly the DOSBox CVS (which I build @ mypixels.dk/forums) does have better speed controlling and new features but I only mention this so that people know that there are improvements and bug fixes. Lots of it. Also there are scalers being added.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.