VOGONS

First post, by rizn_slenzuzext

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello. ive been using dosbox for a while and for the most part i can usually find a way to figure out how to run a game on my own or by checking online resources. but i have hit a wall with Ultima 8 specifically the version which comes on the Ultima Collection, SPECIFICALLY trying to get the game to work WITH SOUND on a new computer running windows 8. heres the issue:

the installer for the UC which works on older windows systems no longer works in win8. alright, no problem. so i copy the u8 files directly into c:\ultima8. then i run install.exe thru dosbox (v0.74). i get the dos installer program and set up the destination path as c:\u8. i set the sound settings as directed, and then proceed to "install"...
"insert disk 01" is the response i get from the installer. nothing i have been able to figure out seems to counter this. ive tried mounting and running the ISO as a disk drive, ive tried to imgmount both the original ISO and the c:\ultima8 to no avail.

alright fine, no problem, i can just run the u8.exe directly from the files i copied from the ISO right? game starts, looks beautiful, works normally...no sound whatsoever. basically what i need is one of two things: does anyone know

A. how to resolve this "insert disk 01" issue so that the game can be installed regularly and thus have the proper sound configuration?
OR
B. how to somehow manually enter in the correct sound card configuration directly into some file within the ultima8 directory so that the game functions as if it was installed with proper sound configuration?

any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated as i have managed to get U8 running WITH SOUND on every device ive ever owned (even android) and i simply refuse to accept that i cannot get it to work with this new system. please forgive me for not including my specs with this but frankly its difficult to find them all in windows8 and it doesnt seem relevant to the issue at hand. thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rizn_slenzuzext wrote:

the installer for the UC which works on older windows systems no longer works in win8. alright, no problem. so i copy the u8 files directly into c:\ultima8. then i run install.exe thru dosbox (v0.74). i get the dos installer program and set up the destination path as c:\u8. i set the sound settings as directed, and then proceed to "install"...
"insert disk 01" is the response i get from the installer. nothing i have been able to figure out seems to counter this. ive tried mounting and running the ISO as a disk drive, ive tried to imgmount both the original ISO and the c:\ultima8 to no avail.

You'll need to say more about what you're typing.

Have you seen the 60 Seconds Guide?
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Reply 2 of 3, by rizn_slenzuzext

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nvm i figured it out.

mounted UC ISO in daemontools as "g:"

run dosbox
mount c c:\ultima8
mount e g:\ -t cdrom switch

e:\
e:\> cd ultima8
e:\ultima8 install

source directory e:\ultima8
destination drive: c:\ultima8
configure sound (soundblaster, all defaults)
set up music (soundblaster, all defaults)
install

"Please insert disk 01"
exit dosbox.
create folder within "ultima8" ALSO "ultima8"
(so you actually end up with 3 nested folders i.e. c:\ultima\ultima8\ultima8 - redundant i know but its just how i got it to work)
notice that there are some files now in the originally-failed install directory (in this case c:\ultima8\ultima8); there's a folder labelled "Gamedat", an "install.exe" and a "dearj.exe".
run dosbox
mount c c:\ultima8\ultima8
c:\ install

same installer program comes up. the only change is the source directory:

source directory c:\
destination drive: c:\ultima8
configure sound (soundblaster, all defaults)
set up music (soundblaster, all defaults)
install

then in dosbox you get
"Halting: internal error!
where: install.c - 761
Reason: sound\a16sbfm.dll

so NOW what i do is take the original u8 files out of the UC img, copy them into
c:\ultima8\ultima8\ultima8. I KEEP THE FILES ALREADY LOCATED IN THIS FOLDER FROM THE FAILED INSTALLATION ATTEMPT AS THEY CONTAIN THE SOUND CONFIGURATIONS NEEDED TO RUN THE GAME WITH SOUND!

in dosbox again, in the same window as the error message, now that the files have been copied in, run install one more time. set source directory as c:\ and destination should be c:\ultima8 (which if youve been following is actually c:\ultima8\ultima8\ultima8). dont even bother with the sound setup (the configuration is already set up with the files you copy-pasted)

You get the message that Ultima8 has been successfully installed, run u8 to play the game. Sound should work =] you can then cut the bottom Ultima8 folder and paste it directly into your C:\ or wherever you keep your dos game files and it will run as intended. hope this helps some other people who run into the same problem.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rizn_slenzuzext wrote:

nvm i figured it out.

Congratulations, I guess?

run dosbox
mount c c:\ultima8
mount e g:\ -t cdrom switch

Why not just mount the CD-ROM drive as drive D? It's quite possible that's why it's complaining about not being able to find the disc.

Also, the word "switch" is not necessary. (Yes, the DOSBox readme says "mount the CD-ROM with -t cdrom switch", but that's because "-t cdrom" is referred to as a switch.)