VOGONS

First post, by SergeyW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have game (version 1.2) and 3dfx patch

when i trying to patch the game-to get 3dfx- it says:
"enter directory where your shadow warrior game is installed (by default it's C:\sw"
i installed game in c:\games\sw

continue" -dossbox asking - "enter directory where current system resides"- i type C:\sw (right?)

and after that it gives me error - veryfying-failed
eut0008 internal error fileio. c 421
and c:/>

What i need to type to tun this patch?

Reply 4 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The way SW3DFX renders isn't very scaleable. It's still practically a software renderer with mild 3dfx-assisted bilinear filtering. There's no huge graphical gain nor is there a performance gain. It's only a morbid curiosity. Hell, it still works with palettes and lookup tables to shade the world so there is no added color precision either.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 9, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SergeyW wrote:

ah ok thanks. i thought about that, because it says in Nglide compatibility list - no high resolutions

A while ago I managed to run the 3dfx version in 640x480 (default is 512x384) under DOSBox SVN Daum with nGlide. I don't remember if higher resolutions worked. It runs fine but indeed offers no inherent advantage to the software mode, even less to rendering options in source ports. Also there's a weird bug with sloped surfaces always rendered at full brightness.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 7 of 9, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, I have contributed some to MobyGames (including one comparison of the same scene in 3dfx and software mode):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/shadow-warrior/screenshots

A few more shots can be found here.

Reply 8 of 9, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrFlibble wrote:

Sure, I have contributed some to MobyGames (including one comparison of the same scene in 3dfx and software mode):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/shadow-warrior/screenshots

A few more shots can be found here.

Very interesting and useful, thank you!!

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 9 of 9, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note though that at least some screenshots are excessively blurry because I used output=opengl and some of the shots were recorded using FRAPS instead of the built-in screen capture tool. I should have used output=direct3d I guess.

Also the duke4.net forums thread I have linked to actually gives the answer to why patching doesn't work for the OP:

Be sure to use DOSBox SVN Daum when patching the game, because Apogee/3DR used to configure their RTPatches to check the date stamps of the updated files, and regular DOSBox and Gulikoza's build do not allow programmes that run inside DOSBox to modify file date stamps - hence the updated files will have the current date and time, and the patch programme will abort the updating process.