VOGONS

Gunship 1986 crashes

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by redonedelta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gunship 1986

The game crashes when i try to do a 3rd mission regardless of which pilot i use.
I start a new pilot and it crashes whenever i try to do a third mission. If i start a new pilot, it will not crash.
Any ideas??
Any copies of the game I download all do the same.

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Which version of Dosbox and did you try the original from its media?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Which version of Dosbox and did you try the original from its media?

redonedelta wrote:

Any copies of the game I download all do the same.

Looks like this is not a legitimate copy, but is from an abandonware site

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
redonedelta wrote:

What site can I go to and get a legitimate copy?

eBay, maybe? Looks like most people are only selling the 1991 version, though. CD Access also has the 1999 version at http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/gunshippo.htm .

My buddy told me that if it was on Abandonware then it was legit with licensing and everything.

Your buddy is mistaken. Regardless, even if the software is beyond economic recovery, it remains that if you download something from some random place on the Internet, there's no way of knowing if the program is complete and uncorrupted. The only way to be sure is to get the original disks.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Locking this thread.
The reason is that Vogons and DOSBox does not support abandonware for legal reasons (calling it abandonware is just a way to sugarcoat breaking the law).
And because trying to figure out what's wrong with such a copy is also often futile as the original might be fine and only this stolen copy is broken.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper