VOGONS

First post, by Krypt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm using DosBox for Warcraft 2. I've viewed several different tutorials on how to set it up and after a few trial and error runs I have it working like I want except for the Custom Scenarios. I first started off copying the content of the CD's to my hard drive (C:\DBGames\WAR2CD). I also copied the Expansion set to my hard drive as well (just so I can install from my HD - C:\DBGames\WAR2ES). I ran DosBox and put in the following mount commands:

mount c C:\DGGames\WAR2

mount e C:\DBGames\WAR2CD

I then switched to the E drive and ran the setup. The game installed with no issue. Once the game was installed, I closed it out and started DosBox up again, putting in the same mounts as above with a minor change to the last part:

mount c C:\DGGames\WAR2

mount e C:\DBGames\WAR2ES

I then switched to the E drive and ran the install. It was originally giving the error that it couldn't find the WAR2.exe or that it was missing (It was trying to install to C:\WAR2). After reading some forums I realized my mistake. I had mounted the C drive as C:\DBGames\WAR2 which is the same place the game installed. I had to clear out the path and just have it install to "C:\". It installed the Expansion set with no issues and I can see all the PUD folders for the expansion in my actual WAR2 folder (Single/Multi, etc).

From there I copied the dosbox config file and put it in my WAR2 folder. In the dosbox config file I added my drive mount under the Autoexec section:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

mount e C:\DBGames\WAR2CD -t cdrom

After that was done I created my desktop icon and made the following the Target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" "C:\DBGames\WAR2\WAR2.EXE" -conf "C:\DBGames\WAR2\dosbox-0.74.conf" -exit

When using the icon, the game starts up and runs with no problem. It automatically detects the contents of the CD contained on my hard drive and processes that as the CD (meaning it doesn't ask me to put in a CD to play it). The only problem I've come across is when I select the Custom Scenario option under single player it doesn't display any and the option to go up a folder, etc is greyed out. I came across the following forum post here from a few years ago (Playing custom maps (PUDs) in Warcraft 2). I didn't want to post on such an old thread so I thought I would start a new one and reference that one.

I've tried several different options to try to get it to work but can't seem to get it. Can someone review my setup and tell me what I'm doing wrong in terms of getting the Expansion Set custom PUD's to load properly?

Reply 1 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You are complicating things.
IMO the best course of action is to start anew with these mountings (I wouldn't add those to the config):

mount c C:\DBGames
mount d C:\DBGames\WAR2CD -t cdrom

Then install the game (commands: "d:" "install" (or "setup").

*then open editor and save a new text file called war2.conf and save it in C:\DBGames\WAR2\.
In that file have just the following lines:

[autoexec]
mount c C:\DBGames
mount d C:\DBGames\WAR2CD -t cdrom
c:
cd war2
war2.exe

Then change your Windows shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" -conf "C:\DBGames\WAR2\war2.conf"

It might work if you just follow the steps from creating the war2.conf (and mounting the cd-rom to e again, because the big problem is that you didn't mount a correct c when installing and then your Windows shortcut starts the war2.exe which means that Dosbox mounts the war2 folder *again* as C (which you found out is not correct way to do things with Warcraft2).
But my recommendation is to start fresh.

(btw. thanks for not necroposting 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

which did you do? Full reinstall or what *might* work?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper