VOGONS

First post, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running the MSDOS version of SimCity Classic with DosBox V0.74 on OS Win7 Home 32bit. I am looking for a way to turn SimCity's intro music off but leave the game sounds on. Is it possable? I have checked the DosBox conf file and found nothing to cut just the music off.

Steve
From the desk of the Amateur Radio Station of KC7BYP.

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
reble wrote:

I am running the MSDOS version of SimCity Classic with DosBox V0.74 on OS Win7 Home 32bit.

Then this should be in the DOSBox forum, not the DOS forum.

I am looking for a way to turn SimCity's intro music off but leave the game sounds on. Is it possable? I have checked the DosBox conf file and found nothing to cut just the music off.

There is probably a setup program included with the game that allows you to select different options for sound and music.

Reply 3 of 11, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should put a link as to where it was moved to. Now I can't find the post.

Stiletto wrote:

Moved.

Steve

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
reble wrote:

temp.png
Filename
temp.png
File size
15.04 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 11, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks.

Jorpho wrote:
reble wrote:

temp.png

Steve

Reply 6 of 11, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dbl checked. There isn't any separate sound setup.exe file in the version of Windows Simcity 2K that I got at https://www.gog.com/game/simcity_2000_special_edition for which in reality is a made over MSDOS version using Dosbox. I have the original SimCity 2k in both the MSDOS version and the Windows version (that runs without Dosbox). Both of the original MSDOS and windows versions that I have have the sound setup.exe file. The original Windows version of 2k that I have has a problem in the game. The load a city file and save a city, when clicked drop the game out to the desktop with no error messages.

Jorpho wrote:
Then this should be in the DOSBox forum, not the DOS forum. […]
Show full quote
reble wrote:

I am running the MSDOS version of SimCity Classic with DosBox V0.74 on OS Win7 Home 32bit.

Then this should be in the DOSBox forum, not the DOS forum.

I am looking for a way to turn SimCity's intro music off but leave the game sounds on. Is it possable? I have checked the DosBox conf file and found nothing to cut just the music off.

There is probably a setup program included with the game that allows you to select different options for sound and music.

Steve

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your first post talked about SimCity Classic, and now you are talking about SimCity 2000. This is getting confusing. Doesn't the Windows version have its own menu for disabling music? What exactly is your question?

There should be a patch for the Windows version of SimCity 2000, but offhand I'm not sure where to find it. This thread only has the patch for the French version.
Simcity 2000 under Windows 7

Reply 8 of 11, by Prog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can chime in regarding SimCity 2000:

The DOS version from GOG does have a setup file, but it's not important for what you're doing here. This image shows the Mac version, but it's the same on all platforms:
vidvQ.png

If you wanted to run the Windows 95 version, someone made a patch that allows it to run on modern Windows. I don't remember where to find it though. You can Google around. In my experience, the DOSBox version crashes less often if I recall correctly, but I could be misremembering because I preferred the DOS version because it properly supported better soundcards.

As for SimCity Classic, there might be a similar option, or you might be able to rip out the MIDI files. I dunno, I never played SimCity Classic.

Reply 9 of 11, by reble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea my bad. I was talking about the intro music before the main menu comes up on SimCity Classic. In the city it self I can turn off the music.

I have an other post about the Windows version of SimCity 2k. I got from the store a long time ago. SimCity 2k for windows. The game still works on Win7 Home 32bit except for save a file and load a file. If I hit ether the save or load in the main menu the game drops out to Windows desktop. No error messages, no nothing.

Jorpho wrote:

Your first post talked about SimCity Classic, and now you are talking about SimCity 2000. This is getting confusing. Doesn't the Windows version have its own menu for disabling music? What exactly is your question?

There should be a patch for the Windows version of SimCity 2000, but offhand I'm not sure where to find it. This thread only has the patch for the French version.
Simcity 2000 under Windows 7

Steve

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
reble wrote:

I have an other post about the Windows version of SimCity 2k. I got from the store a long time ago. SimCity 2k for windows. The game still works on Win7 Home 32bit except for save a file and load a file. If I hit ether the save or load in the main menu the game drops out to Windows desktop. No error messages, no nothing.

As has been mentioned twice now, that is a known problem with SimCity 2k for Windows and there is a patch to fix it. This is not a difficult thing to find.
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/ … tibility-patch/

Reply 11 of 11, by Prog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW, you can install SimCity 2000 on 64-bit systems. It just takes a custom installer or a generic installer.

Also, if you want animations to work, and don't mind the rest of your screen looking all screwy while the game is running, do this:
vjTkG.png
Note that this does not work on Windows 8+, and the animations will always freeze after a couple frames on those systems.