VOGONS

First post, by chickenpee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What could be causing Dosbox to constantly shut down under Linux Mint 18.1? I have tried numerous settings including the stock ones (output=surface, etc) and cannot get it to work. Here are some examples that instantly cause crashes:

1) Running Quake and then trying to adjust brightness using the options slider
2) Opening various apps in Windows 3.1: Microsoft Arcade, Rattler Race, Fuji Golf (Solitaire and Minesweeper work fine)

I'm guessing it's a graphics issue - it seems like anything that does any sort of significant re-draw will bring Dosbox crashing down. Is there a workaround, other than reverting to a Windows platform?

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you experiencing similar problems in other SDL applications?

If it's a graphics issue, I would expect that changing your video card drivers might have some effect. You can also try running the Windows version in WINE if it comes to that.

Reply 2 of 3, by chickenpee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, Wesnoth appears to work, so not everything bombs out. Thanks for the tip on using Wine, I've been going with that. But even with all the various combinations (overlay/opengl, trying various full resolutions, virtual desktop, etc) I cannot get fullscreen to work. It either encounters a "serious error," or works fine until Windows 3.1 loads up, and then I get a tiny image in the middle of the screen. Right now my best compromise has been setting the desktop to 960x540 (ugh) and then creating a 640x480 window. I'll see if there are any Intel graphics drivers for Linux out there. If there's any other ideas I could try, would love to hear them. Thanks.