VOGONS

First post, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows 7 x86
DOSBox 0.74

Hello,

I have used dosbox in the past without any issues, however, I have never done so with a .img file.

Today I tried for the first time and got as far as installing the game but when I try to then run the .exe file that was installed in the directory I am receiving the following error:

"Make sure the TFS-cd is in your drive and ready."

Here's a rundown of everything so that you can understand exactly what I have done:

The file path where the game is installed:

C:\Program Files\DOSBox\Games\Terminator

To initially install the game:

mount c c:\progra~1\dosbox\games\terminator
imgmount d c:\progra~1\dosbox\games\terminator\terminator.img -t iso
d:
dir
install.exe

The game installer then started and I selected "soundblaster 16" as the sound card. Tested the sound and it was good.

I was then brought back to the dosbox interface.

I then used the following commands like I do with all my other games to start them:

mount c c:\progra~1\dosbox\games
c:
cd termin~1
shock.exe

That's when I then get the error and do not know how to proceed.

I have done a ton of googling and can't seem to find the solution.

I have read the "60 seconds guide to dosbox" several times as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Avenger on 2017-05-04, 15:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 24, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You aren't doing too well at following the 60 seconds guide. You should mount drives the same way for both installation and for running games.

In your description, you are mounting the terminator directory for installation when you should be mounting the games directory below as you do when running the game. Also, in your description you are not mounting the cdrom when running, so the game is naturally telling you that the cdrom can't be found. In some cases the cdrom is not needed after installation, perhaps depending on a selected installation size option, but some games always want the cdrom available at runtime for one reason or another.

Reply 2 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

You aren't doing too well at following the 60 seconds guide. You should mount drives the same way for both installation and for running games.

In your description, you are mounting the terminator directory for installation when you should be mounting the games directory below as you do when running the game. Also, in your description you are not mounting the cdrom when running, so the game is naturally telling you that the cdrom can't be found. In some cases the cdrom is not needed after installation, perhaps depending on a selected installation size option, but some games always want the cdrom available at runtime for one reason or another.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried mounting as a cdrom.

When using the commands:

imgmount d c:\progra~1\dosbox\games\terminator\terminator.img -t cdrom

Error:

"Image file is not found."

When using the commands:

imgmount d d:\progra~1\dosbox\games\terminator\terminator.img -t cdrom

Error:

"The image must be on a host or local drive."

When using the commands:

mount d c:\progra~1\dosbox\games\terminator\terminator.img -t cdrom

Error:

"Directory c:\progra~1\dosbox\games\terminator\terminator.img doesn't exist"

When using the commands:

mount d d:\progra~1\dosbox\games\terminator\terminator.img -t cdrom

Error:

"Directory c:\progra~1\dosbox\games\terminator\terminator.img doesn't exist"

As I'm sure you are aware, the "60 seconds" guide does not mention anything about .img files. So in your infinate wisdom can you please tell me what command lines I should be using in this case?

The furthest I have got was using the commands in my original post as I was at least able to attempt to install from the .img file whether incorrect or not.

Reply 3 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Your imgmount command in your initial post is correct (-t iso, not -t cdrom). Other than that the 60 seconds guide still applies (instead of a real cd-rom you use an image with the correct imgmount command)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Your imgmount command in your initial post is correct (-t iso, not -t cdrom). Other than that the 60 seconds guide still applies (instead of a real cd-rom you use an image with the correct imgmount command)

If it is correct then why am I running into the problem I described?

Reply 5 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ripsaw8080 wrote:

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
ripsaw8080 wrote:

DOSBox%201_zps9lav2bub.jpg

Reply 7 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what you wrote in your first post:

Avenger wrote:

Do you still get an error message from DOSBox when you type these commands?

Reply 8 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

This is what you wrote in your first post:

Avenger wrote:

Do you still get an error message from DOSBox when you type these commands?

I finally made some progress:

DOSBox%203_zps1e5hfnj0.jpg

After the game was installed I was brought back to the DOSBox interface.

Command:

shock.exe

The game played.

I closeed it out and went to run the game a second time and am now getting the following error after changing to the standard run command:

DOSBox%204_zps4yibkh0d.jpg

Reply 9 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Avenger wrote:

So you were getting an error message since you moved the .img file to a different folder.

This is probably getting frustrating for you, but you've kind of been told twice now what you're supposed to be doing.

Also, in your description you are not mounting the cdrom when running, so the game is naturally telling you that the cdrom can't be found. In some cases the cdrom is not needed after installation, perhaps depending on a selected installation size option, but some games always want the cdrom available at runtime for one reason or another.

Reply 10 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
So you were getting an error message since you moved the .img file to a different folder. […]
Show full quote
Avenger wrote:

So you were getting an error message since you moved the .img file to a different folder.

This is probably getting frustrating for you, but you've kind of been told twice now what you're supposed to be doing.

Also, in your description you are not mounting the cdrom when running, so the game is naturally telling you that the cdrom can't be found. In some cases the cdrom is not needed after installation, perhaps depending on a selected installation size option, but some games always want the cdrom available at runtime for one reason or another.

Refering to it as a "cdrom" rather then just the D Drive is what confused me.

DOSBox%206_zpsrqo0kyeu.jpg

One step further. now what's the problem?

Reply 11 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You need to mount that folder as C, and still need to mount your cd as d. For playing use the SAME mountings as for installation (which means mount AND imgmount command). You saw that that worked, why are you so hell bent on using different mountings for playing?

Reply 12 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

You need to mount that folder as C, and still need to mount your cd as d. For playing use the SAME mountings as for installation (which means mount AND imgmount command). You saw that that worked, why are you so hell bent on using different mountings for playing?

I already tried it that way. I get this error:

DOSBox%204_zps4yibkh0d.jpg

Reply 13 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you need to use the exact same thing yo used for installing the game
DOSBox%203_zps1e5hfnj0.jpg

Reply 14 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

also, don't work in the program files folder, like you might be doing. This will give problems, as not all files can be opened properly because of windows protections.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ah, good point.
So best start over with a games folder in C:\Games or in C:\users\yourusername\games but then keep the exact same mountings for installing *AND* playing.

Reply 16 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

also, don't work in the program files folder, like you might be doing. This will give problems, as not all files can be opened properly because of windows protections.

This makes no difference if you run as an administrator. I have played countless games in DOSBox all of which save without problems.

I have just never ran anything from an IMG file before. That's what the problem is here.

Last edited by Avenger on 2017-05-04, 10:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

keep the exact same mountings for installing *AND* playing.

It's installed in the C drive and I'm attempting to run it from the C drive...

I have no idea what you are trying to tell me at this point.

Reply 18 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

BUT AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE ERROR MESSAGE THE GAME *ALSO* NEEDS THE CD!
So for the xth time, use the mountings you used for installing the game. The ones in the picture. The ones that you confirmed that you could install the game AND run it.
So *these* mountings for both c and d AND then run it from c.
(See below but use the correct paths)

mount c c:/prog.../games
imgmount d c:/.../terminator.img -t iso
C:
Cd fshock
shock.exe

Do this.

Reply 19 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You made an image of the CD-Rom, once you mount it with the imgmount command and the -t iso switch, it will appear to games in Dosbox as the CD-Rom. So when a game asks for its CD, give it to it.