VOGONS

First post, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox%205_zpsdx2smggk.jpg

Last edited by Avenger on 2017-05-04, 15:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Probably same error as future shock. Keep the cdrom or image mounted as d as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And as qbix said in the other thread, move your games folder out of the program files folder. Windows (>XP) demands admin rights in those so saving is likely going to be a problem.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It appears that others have had this same issue.

Terminator Skynet problem

I have tried editing the install.dat file with notepad in every possible combination that I can think of and it doesn't solve the issue.

Reply 5 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It appears to me that all problems were solved by using the correct mounts, e.g. Using the same mountings for the c drive and the CD-Rom for bith installing and playing.

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Avenger wrote:

I can play the game directly after install.

As soon as I close out and attempt to play it without installing I get this error.

Close out meaning, exit the game or exit Dosbox? If you mean exit Dosbox I'm sure you are not mounting the CD(image?) again

Reply 7 of 10, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
Avenger wrote:

I can play the game directly after install.

As soon as I close out and attempt to play it without installing I get this error.

Close out meaning, exit the game or exit Dosbox? If you mean exit Dosbox I'm sure you are not mounting the CD(image?) again

Closeout DOSBOX.

Once the image is installed it's no longer an image though...

How can you remount an image after all the game files have been extracted to a seperate folder?

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Avenger wrote:

That is a thread from ten years ago that appears to relate to an entirely different issue.

Avenger wrote:

How can you remount an image after all the game files have been extracted to a seperate folder?

I don't understand how you got that idea. The image remains exactly the same after installation because it acts exactly like an ordinary CD-ROM. When you install a game off a CD-ROM, the files are still on the CD-ROM afterwards. When you install a game from a CD image, the files are still on the CD image afterwards. Do you get it now?

In many cases, running an installation program on a CD only copies some of the files off of the CD. Even when you run the program that the installer copied to the hard drive, the program still needs to access other files on the CD. You still need to keep the image mounted whenever you run the game.

Reply 9 of 10, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
That is a thread from ten years ago that appears to relate to an entirely different issue. […]
Show full quote
Avenger wrote:

That is a thread from ten years ago that appears to relate to an entirely different issue.

Avenger wrote:

I don't understand how you got that idea. The image remains exactly the same after installation because it acts exactly like an ordinary CD-ROM. When you install a game off a CD-ROM, the files are still on the CD-ROM afterwards. When you install a game from a CD image, the files are still on the CD image afterwards. Do you get it now?

In many cases, running an installation program on a CD only copies some of the files off of the CD. Even when you run the program that the installer copied to the hard drive, the program still needs to access other files on the CD. You still need to keep the image mounted whenever you run the game.

Understood. I literally haven't played a game off of a CD in close to 10 years as even most older games that required it upon early release later had "No CD" patches. The same goes for many of the old DOS games that I have played that were able to simply have the game exe mounted in DOSBox and of course modern titles don't require one at all once installed.

Either way, between Dominus and yourself I have learned something new over the last couple of days and got both games booting without problem.

Thank you.

Reply 10 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yay 😉