VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see many youtubes with this game working perfectly but I just cannot get it to work but of course, no one posts their config file either.

It plays but I get 10-15 FPS. The graphics don't look the same but appear to be but it is not software rendering. I do get the 3dfx splash screen, menus are in 3D but do stutter slightly.

I'm using ykhwong's latest DOSBOX SVN, nglide 1.05
I have the original copy, made a bin/cue that I'm using
Installed under DOSBOX, got setup to work fine
I've tried recommended settings that I could find, and even tried Screamer 2 guides I found too. I don't have Screamer 2 GOG or otherwise so I don't have the conf as a point of reference.
I got the setup to work after bumping up cycles to 150000. Set it back to auto for game.

So here's what I have changed from default.conf:
output=ddraw
memsize=64
aspect=true
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000
[mixer]
rate=48000
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=1024
oplrate=48000

I have tried others along the way that escape me (like cputype), but no luck

PC specs: Windows 10, i7 6700k, RX480

Current dosbox.conf attached

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    75.35 KiB
    Downloads
    106 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. Daum/yhkwong builds are not supported here
2. His builds are broken and it seems he is MIA and never fixes them again

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 14, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is the supported, recommended build or method to get glide working in DOSBox?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 4 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is none

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 14, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:

Use Daum Build 6th May 2013 and set glide=true in Dosbox.conf to use nglide.

Start the game with strt3fx.exe

Setup is not finding the 3dfx. The latest build does but doesn't seem to use it when playing the game.

I've never had so much trouble getting 3dfx running under any dosbox build. Maybe I'll get the GOG Screamer 2 and just install rally there or eventually get a 3dfx card.

Reply 6 of 14, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if setup detects a 3dfx card...
Just use setup to configure your soundcard.

Start the game with strt3fx.exe manually or edit the .bat file to call strt3fx.exe.

ah, and you have to copy the right glide2x.ovl to your game folder.
There 2 glide2x.ovl in the dosbox directory.
One is for glide=true, one for glide=emu.
You have to copy the right one to the folder where strt3fx.exe is.

I will take a look at my installation later, so i can tell you the filesize and versions i use.

Reply 7 of 14, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:
ah, and you have to copy the right glide2x.ovl to your game folder. There 2 glide2x.ovl in the dosbox directory. One is for glid […]
Show full quote

ah, and you have to copy the right glide2x.ovl to your game folder.
There 2 glide2x.ovl in the dosbox directory.
One is for glide=true, one for glide=emu.
You have to copy the right one to the folder where strt3fx.exe is.

THAT WAS IT!

I even did a fresh setup using the latest build and the missing part was copying the DLL. SETUP did detect the presence of the 3Dfx as well.

It is working great. It loads slow but plays at the right speed. Probably a little more tweaking and it should be good.

Thanks!

Reply 8 of 14, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But then you do not use Nglide.

What Resolution are you playing ? 640x480 ?
Daum latest Daum Versions ingnoring the GLIDE= setting in Dosbox.conf .. There is always GLIDE=TRUE

Then DOSBOX emulates the 3DFX card and you have to copy glide2x_emu.ovl to Game Directory and rename it to glide2x.ovl
To get more Speed out of the emulated 3dfx-Card set output=opengl and voodoo=opengl in dosbox.conf

But i prefer using nglide because it renders in 1920x1080 (native Resolution of my Monitor).
To use nglide:
- Delete any glide2x.dll from Dosbox Directory.
- copy glide2x.ovl to Screamer Rally Directopry (The ovl file with 31.377 bytes)
- set glide=true in dosbox.conf
- configure nglide to your native resolution and set your Aspect Ratio

If you can see the old 3dfx Logo (Green on White Background) then DOSBOX is emulating the 3DFX Card.

If you the the newer Logo (Silver 3dfx Logo on Black Background) then you using nglide.

Reply 10 of 14, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before, it was the old green on white, now it is silver on black. I have other games that work with this DOSBox Daum build and nglide and work fine and I didn't have to copy the glide2x.ovl to the game directory, for example Tomb Raider. Other than the copy of the glide2x.ovl, I did everything else but each game is different.

Thanks!

Reply 11 of 14, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Loads much faster with opengl.

Reply 12 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sammy wrote:

Use Daum Build 6th May 2013 and set glide=true in Dosbox.conf to use nglide.

Start the game with strt3fx.exe

Is that the "best" build (= with more features and more stable) that Daum did?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 13 of 14, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is one of the best Versions Daum did.

I use the Versions of 6thMay2013, 27Jan2014, and 25Jan2015.

2014, 2015 Versions are more stable when running Windows95 inside.
2013 i used for nglide and Dosgames.
But yesterday i learned that the 2015 Version works with nglide too (for dos games)

So you have to test which Version works best for the game you trying to run.
And if you want internal glide emulation or a wrapper like nglide.

PS: it seems with Dosbox 2015 i got faster Racing Times in Screamer Rally.
My best time in Canada with the 2013 build was 5min08 , with the 2015 build i did yesterday 5min02 on the second try.

Reply 14 of 14, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been using that build with DOS games that take advantage of Voodoo. I've played Tomb Raider 1 for hours without issues and at 1080p.

I do stick with the original DOSBox builds when voodoo or MUNT emulation is not needed. Daum's built-in MUNT on King's Quest games and other Sierra games has worked out great.