VOGONS

First post, by ken-c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using Dosbox 6.1 for a few days now, and I am most impressed with it.

I am able to successfully run World Tour Golf in CGA mode, and it works perfectly, so I've probably got the configuration down for it OK. But WTG also supports a higher color Tandy mode if available (by auto-sensing the Tandy and not by any command line switches when booting the game), giving 16 colors instead of 4. No matter what setting I set the graphics for (Tandy, VGA, CGA) and video method (overlay, etc.), the game only ever sees CGA and therefore uses 4 color.

I'd like to get the 16 color Tandy mode working, and I suspect that WTG isn't sensing whatever it needs to use the Tandy mode.

My particulars:
ASUS P4B533-E motherboard
2.4GHz Pentium IV
512MB RAM
nVidia GeForce 3 video card, 64MB RAM
Windows XP Pro
Soundblaster Live

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Reply 1 of 7, by ken-c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well my machine has changed ever so slightly - I now have 1 gig of RAM, but it obviously hasn't helped me get v.61 to run World Tour Golf. It runs fine in 4 color CGA mode, but the colors are rather ugly. It would be wonderful to get it running in Tandy color mode again, and I really appreciate any help anyone can give to me.

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you try the machine option in the configfile.
There you can set dosbox to emulate a an ega card (then stuff to detect the tandy and such are disabled)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure your version has Tandy graphics?

here is what my readme says:

To run GOLF: If you have a Color Graphics Adapter (CGA): Type GOLF at the DOS prompt. If you have a Hercules Monochr […]
Show full quote

To run GOLF:
If you have a Color Graphics Adapter (CGA):
Type GOLF at the DOS prompt.
If you have a Hercules Monochrome Graphics Card:
Type either GOLF /H or HERCGOLF at the DOS prompt, whichever you find
easier to remember.

Maybe there is a different version which has also ega and tandy graphics. For example when I run my game outside dosbox it also uses only cga. I think it should use ega.

Reply 7 of 7, by ken-c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried every machine option available - every one just results in a CGA screen.

I worked at Radio Shack long, long ago, and I remember playing this game quite extensively. It was very well done for its time, especially rendering the graphics in nicer looking colors that what CGA could offer.

While the game is playable in CGA, it just isn't the same...

Still, thanks for trying to help. I do appreciate it.