VOGONS

First post, by BLzNFuN78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get "Star Trek The Next Generation Interactive Technical Manual" to work in windows 3.1 / 3.11. When selecting the guided tour, it just fast forwards thru and when browsing the links, pictures don't show up and the sound is choppy. I have installed the S3 and SB16 drivers to make it work. Was thinking about installing DOS inside DOSBox to see if it corrects the problem.

A video can be seen here on what it is doing.

https://youtu.be/pejXe396l8s

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that supposed to be a video demonstrating the problem?

Lowering the cycles in DOSBox is usually a good idea, or you can try changing the machine type to pentium_slow.

It is also possible that you need the particular version of Quicktime that shipped with the program (assuming that it uses Quicktime).

Reply 2 of 5, by BLzNFuN78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it was a video of the problem.

I used the quicktime shipped with it, but I read that the lastest 2.x.x was the one to have that solved bugs in the original 2.0 version which I installed first. I'll try your suggestions. I can't remember if I tried that yet. I have messed with a lot of settings so far but none have seemed to make a difference.

Reply 3 of 5, by BLzNFuN78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried as you suggested and no luck. I did notice that an error appears in the status window upon loading Windows 3.11 and I'm wondering if this might have something to do with it.

Warning: file creation failed: c:\users\admin\documents\dosprog\DOSPROG\WINDOWS\TEMP\~

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried watching the video and I'm not clear on exactly what the problem is.

Are other Windows programs running correctly? Do you still have the CD-ROM mounted after installation? (I assume it runs off a CD or CD image.)

Reply 5 of 5, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This doesn't exactly help you with getting it working in Win3.1, but, if you didn't know, there are actually two versions of the Technical Manual. Version 1 is 16-bit and for Windows 3.1. Version 2 (also called Technical Manual 99) is 32-bit and for Windows 95/98. If you can find the latter version, you might have a whole lot easier time getting it working, since you wouldn't have to use DOSBox or Win3.1 In fact, I just installed and launched the newer version in Windows 10 x64 (though it exited when it couldn't find Quicktime, since I'm not about to install that).