VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are some Japanese Gal-games ("迷走都市" and "雪猫 ゆがんだ记忆", sorry, I don't know their English name) I missed a lot and wanna replay again in DOSbox recently. I found that there are midi bgm files I wish to play with because the better quality than its default bgm.

But there is the problem: those games have neither any functional configuring files such as "setup.exe", "install.exe" or "setsound.exe", nor available midi bgm options in games. Those games were firstly played when I was a small little boy and a very NOOB at later 90s DOS era, just knowing some simple dos commands and to launch games with pre-configured "play.bat" or "XXX.exe" files. So there is little basic knowledge of configuring hardware drivers or DOS environment via autoexec.bat and etc manually in my head, I just simply installed win3.x drivers and run memmaker.exe to make rest of things done automatically.

I found some information on internet about how to run those games with midi bgm but can't understand commands very well. I think the text is written by some Japanese dos veterans, it's written as (with my translations in square brackets on key information):

音楽環境設定について [about the bgm configuration] […]
Show full quote

音楽環境設定について [about the bgm configuration]

・まず、ゲーム起動バッチ MEI_HD.BAT の以下の部分をお手持ちの音源付属のドライバーに書き換えます。[firstly, change the commands mentioned below in the patched MEI_HD.BAT with ur owned drivers]

echo off
rem set path=c:\sndscape;%path%
rem ssinit gm --------------+
rem tapis2k ----------------+ この3行 [these 3 lines]
rem vmp /loop /clp:32 ------+

PMDIBM /M6 /V1 /E1
logo
MEI
PMDIBM /R
vmp /rem
tapis2k /rem

注意点は、[3 things need to be mentioned]

1.演奏用バッファ(トラックバッファ)を32kバイト以上確保する。[make sure there are over 32KB track buffer(?) could be used for performance]
    2.ループ演奏モードにする。[play bgm in loop mode]
    3.ドライバー及びプレイヤーをゲームディレクトリにコピーしておく。[copy ur drivers and player to the game directory]

の3点です。

・しかる後に、ゲーム付属のバッチファイル EM_DRV.BAT を以下のようにリライトして下さい。[re-writer game's patch file "EM_DRV.BAT" with the followings ]

プレイヤーファイル名 %1 [player file name %1]

・プレイヤーは、必ず呼出元に制御が戻る物を使用して下さい。また、メッセージを押さえるオプションを必ず使用して下さい。[Always use the player which could control returns to the caller(? don't understand quite much here). And be sure to use the optional command to hidden messages]

<注意!> [Cautions]
 ・画面にゴミが出たり、色がおかしくなったりしたらコンベンショナルメモリが不足している証拠です。不要な常駐物を外すか、消費メモリの少ないドライバーをお使い下さい。[wrong display or irregular colors means the insufficiency of memory, plz release unnecessary resident objects in ur memory or change to the drivers with less memory consumption]
 ・この件に関する質問等は一切受け付けておりません。トラブルが発生しましたら、ご自分の責任と知識において処理して下さい。

So could some really nice guys give me some detailed explanation of each command mentioned above and tell me how to change the general midi driver and player in this case.

I really do appreciate it if some one could help me on solving this problem. This is not only about games, but also some basic ideas and knowledge I might manage to use in real dos when my owned dos gaming rig built.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, for starters, any line in a .bat file that starts with "rem" is completely ignored. I assume "ssinit" refers to the driver for an Ensoniq Soundscape, so for the purposes of DOSBox that line can be forgotten. I also assume that "tapis2k" and "vmp" are related to the game itself, so I do not understand why this text suggests replacing them with your own drivers.

What exactly have you tried so far?

Reply 2 of 12, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Well, for starters, any line in a .bat file that starts with "rem" is completely ignored. I assume "ssinit" refers to the driver for an Ensoniq Soundscape, so for the purposes of DOSBox that line can be forgotten. I also assume that "tapis2k" and "vmp" are related to the game itself, so I do not understand why this text suggests replacing them with your own drivers.

What exactly have you tried so far?

Thanks for ur kindly reply, bro, and sorry for posted multiple threads.

Actually there aren't much I can do before ur replying. U really told me some things nice and now I got a basic idea of what those lines mean. I'm gonna try to deal it from now on and will feedback here if my idea works or not. Do appreciate a lot!

But there are still other things confused me quite much:

1. I've been knowing that intelligent MPU401 are functionally emulated at address 330 in DOSbox, but is a driver file there? I mean if I got a real hardware as my Roland S-MPU-II AT, there probably will be a driver to be gotten, but any familiar thing available in DOSbox for its emulated midi function?
2. Is there a default midi player existed in DOSbox? Because according to the information I got, I need to somehow copy driver and player into game's dictionary and replace those command lines in its .bat files. Where can I find those things for DOSbox?

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 3 of 12, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. First, you will need a MIDI-to-USB adapter if you want to connect your MIDI device to your computer (assuming your computer has USB). Shouldn't be hard to find. Connect the module to the adapter using MIDI cables (again,shouldn't be hard to find those) and connect the adapter into the computer. Then, open DOSBox and type this command:"mixer /listmidi" (without the quotations). It will show all the avaliable MIDI devices. Wanna annotate now which number corresponds to your adapter. Lastly,open the dosbox.conf file with notepad,locate the following line: "midiconfig=" (again,without the quotations) and put the number you annotated previously in there.(for example,if your midi adapter number under DOSBox is 1 you put the same number in that line).
2. DOSBox doesn't include any MIDI player.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 4 of 12, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It appears to require modifying a batch file with the command to invoke your own custom General MIDI file player in loop mode on the file specified in argument one (%1) that is passed to that batch file. It also specifies that it needs the MIDI player to run in a Terminate and Stay Resident mode, ie. run in the background and return immediately. And if necessary, specify any command line parameters to silence its text output. Presumably it is to play until invoked again with a different MIDI file.

Reply 5 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kode54 wrote:

It appears to require modifying a batch file with the command to invoke your own custom General MIDI file player in loop mode on the file specified in argument one (%1) that is passed to that batch file. It also specifies that it needs the MIDI player to run in a Terminate and Stay Resident mode, ie. run in the background and return immediately. And if necessary, specify any command line parameters to silence its text output. Presumably it is to play until invoked again with a different MIDI file.

If that's the case, it would be easiest just to forget about DOSBox entirely, and play the MIDI file in Windows Media Player while playing the game in DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 12, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
kode54 wrote:

If that's the case, it would be easiest just to forget about DOSBox entirely, and play the MIDI file in Windows Media Player while playing the game in DOSBox.

Not so fast! This batch file is invoked by the game to signal MIDI file changes. How do you propose this signal reach Windows Media Player?

Reply 7 of 12, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:

wow!! So much valuable information!! Thanks very much, dude! 😀 😀 😀

So, it seems I can't play those games unless I got a workable midi player in real dos. midi player is not the biggest problem, but the workable midi driver is... cause I don't think there is any driver available for the emulated MPU401 in DOSbox..... sigh....

Last edited by Saotome Ranma on 2017-05-27, 05:54. Edited 1 time in total.

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 8 of 12, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
kode54 wrote:

Not so fast! This batch file is invoked by the game to signal MIDI file changes. How do you propose this signal reach Windows Media Player?

Exactly! And I don't know either which BGM should be played in which scene. That is why I worked so hard on the problem...

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 9 of 12, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Saotome Ranma wrote:

I don't think there is any driver available for the emulated MPU401 in DOSbox

Just use an standard MPU-401 driver and you should be fine.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 10 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kode54 wrote:

Oh, I see. The "easiest" solution would be to patch DOSBox's code.

A bit of Googling does not suggest an abundance of TSR MIDI players. One solution might be to convert each MIDI file to CD-audio, and then use a TSR CD player, but if the MIDI filenames are hard-coded in the game to be passed to this batch file, that wouldn't work.

Is VMP.COM included with the game, Mr. Ranma? A bit of Googling suggests it is the "Voyetra Multimedia Player"; I found some copies of it:
http://www.electronicenergysource.com/entirel … ounds/MIDISONG/
http://www.computernerdkev.heliohost.org/skd-4000/sound/

Unfortunately it is not all obvious how you are supposed to use it to play MIDI files. Does your copy of the game include "EM_DRV.BAT" ? What are its contents?

EDIT: Further investigation also turns up the files in question in the Sound Galaxy NX Pro drivers:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=73

Extracting the STRACKS folder, vmp.com runs without any problems. Running song.exe suggests pressing [Alt]+[.] to "activate Sound Tracks", but this key combination does nothing in DOSBox. Running tapisg.com produces a message saying "The SOUND hardware is not working". It may be impossible to use these particular programs without actual Sound Galaxy hardware, which of course DOSBox does not emulate. The Internet seems to know nothing about "tapis2k" aside from that page you found.

Reply 11 of 12, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Oh, I see. The "easiest" solution would be to patch DOSBox's code. […]
Show full quote
kode54 wrote:

Oh, I see. The "easiest" solution would be to patch DOSBox's code.

A bit of Googling does not suggest an abundance of TSR MIDI players. One solution might be to convert each MIDI file to CD-audio, and then use a TSR CD player, but if the MIDI filenames are hard-coded in the game to be passed to this batch file, that wouldn't work.

Is VMP.COM included with the game, Mr. Ranma? A bit of Googling suggests it is the "Voyetra Multimedia Player"; I found some copies of it:
http://www.electronicenergysource.com/entirel … ounds/MIDISONG/
http://www.computernerdkev.heliohost.org/skd-4000/sound/

Unfortunately it is not all obvious how you are supposed to use it to play MIDI files. Does your copy of the game include "EM_DRV.BAT" ? What are its contents?

EDIT: Further investigation also turns up the files in question in the Sound Galaxy NX Pro drivers:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=73

Extracting the STRACKS folder, vmp.com runs without any problems. Running song.exe suggests pressing [Alt]+[.] to "activate Sound Tracks", but this key combination does nothing in DOSBox. Running tapisg.com produces a message saying "The SOUND hardware is not working". It may be impossible to use these particular programs without actual Sound Galaxy hardware, which of course DOSBox does not emulate. The Internet seems to know nothing about "tapis2k" aside from that page you found.

Thanks dude for ur advices. I did all of things I can do, even tried a workable mpu401.com driver copied from another games and the vmp.com but still failed, so the specified way of running midi bgms mentioned above maybe only work for Sound Galaxy NX Pro sound card.... I won't give it up but can't do anything before getting other new ideas... T_T

The NOOB of noobs!!

Reply 12 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, you didn't answer the questions. Is VMP.COM included with the game, or EM_DRV.BAT ? Where did "tapis2k" come from?

I started thinking that Creative card might be able to do something along these lines (i.e. with CTMIDI-S.DRV), but Googling around, I cannot seem to find exactly how that was used.