VOGONS

First post, by joeljoel1947

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying for 2 days now to run Old Time Baseball (1995) in DosBox WITHOUT using the cd-rom (I have the original cd-rom and burned an iso of it and am trying to use it because it is playing much smoother off the hard drive then off the cd). I am using D-Fend reloaded as a front end for DosBox. This is because just using DosBox I could not get it to work----this game has some "extreme need" to have the cd-rom in the drive when playing, so DosBox would give me the "insert cd now" line and I would put it in and it would play (and yes I tried to "trick" it into thinking a cd was in there using the mount d d:\ -t cdrom command but that did not work or I am doing something wrong).

That said, I gave up and decided to make an iso of my cd-rom to see if I could get the game to run without the cd in D-Fend. If I put the iso, which I have mounted as a drive on my PC directly into D-Fend, it sets it up and it works----setup works, and the game plays----with NO cd rom in the drive. However, after that initial setup upon exiting, D-Fend imports the settings and the executables for both playing the game and set up mode. When I try to go back into play the game, D-Fend wants me to put the bloody cd-rom in! Setup works ok without the cd rom in d-Fend, but NOPE, not the actual playing of the game. I tried to pick several other files (executables) to use to launch the program to no avail (the game launches using "OLDTIME" when I initially launch it, but it is a batch file, so D-Fend picks an executable file called "BB" by default but that file launches with an error that says a file is missing and cannot start) ANY file I try to pick instead--- either they want me to put the cd in to play again, or they say there is a "missing file" and it cannot launch.

I know there must be something simple that is amiss, or some crazy advanced protection scheme, because if I start over and delete the game out of D-Fend, and re-drag my iso back into it----it sets it up and runs again with NO cd-rom! But that really sucks to have to reinstall a game every single time you want to play, and sort of defeats the purpose of playing a whole season as I could never save.

Any thoughts/ideas? Really going nuts on this one! Thanks! 😢

Reply 1 of 4, by Stick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't use a frontend, but I had to remove the line "call checkcd.bat" from oldtime.bat
CD (or CD image) still needs to be mounted, though. It contains files that the game needs (even with a "max" install).

Reply 2 of 4, by joeljoel1947

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Stick! Sorry I'm a newb! So would I take that line out of my image, and then assuming I want to use the image instead of the cd rom itself, use the imgmount command in dosbox to trick it so it thinks the actual cd is in there?

Reply 3 of 4, by Stick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After the game is installed, you need to edit "oldtime.bat" with a text editor and remove the command "call checkcd.bat".

One part of "oldtime.bat" has these lines:

:frontend
echo Old Time Baseball ver 1.00
call checkcd.bat
checkmem %1
if errorlevel 1 goto end2

Delete "call checkcd.bat", so it looks like this:

:frontend
echo Old Time Baseball ver 1.00
checkmem %1
if errorlevel 1 goto end2

Save the file and exit the text editor

Now the game can be played by running "oldtime.bat"

Image must remain mounted (using imgmount) during gameplay.

Here are the commands I use in DOSBox (your drives, folders, and image file name may be different):
mount c e:\dosgames
imgmount d "e:\dosgames\otbcd\otb.cue" -t iso
c:
cd oldtime
oldtime.bat