VOGONS

First post, by ambbymonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings, I have been using the newest dosbox to play the original worms, all was working quite well, & then out of nowhere no matter what I do, it displays the program into many smaller windows within the main window, I did a settings reset, & totally uninstalled & reinstalled it so many times, same issue, not sure what to do, has anyone else ever seen this issue?

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    Filename
    screenshot.png
    File size
    74.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using your own original disks, or did you download this copy from somewhere? Because if you downloaded it, it might be corrupted or otherwise incomplete.

If all else fails you can buy the game on Steam (yes, the original DOS version) and it should run.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/70640/Worms/

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can tell you that this is by no means a common error and people here can only take random guesses about what you might have done differently when it was working.

You should follow the 60 Seconds Guide if you aren't already.
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

Reply 4 of 9, by koverhbarc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is obviously a DOSBox problem (and so in the wrong forum, and not my field of expertise) but my immediate suggestion would be a clean install of DOSBox 0.74 and running the program directly from its command line. I can't imagine that corruption caused by anything other than bad DOSBox configuration options - certainly not by any problem with the original game.

Reply 5 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved to, uh, DOSBox Games/Apps. If that's wrong, move it to another DOSBox forum 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
koverhbarc wrote:

But DOSBox is apparently setting a much higher resolution than the game actually wants, hence the repetition of the framebuffer. Incomplete mode X support alone shouldn't do that.

But DOSBox doesn’t change settings frome one moment to the other, the OP states it worked and suddenly it didn‘t, so something else got screwed.

When you wrote you reinstalled etc, did you wipe the Worms folder in the folder you mounted as C:?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper