VOGONS

First post, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I'm trying to run Big Red Adventure in DOSBox .74 and I'm having trouble. The setup program runs perfectly fine but whenever I try to run the game, I see it load up all the drivers then the text turns orange and fades out, then it fades back in and...that's it. Just sits there on the screen with orange text showing all the drivers having been loaded.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 4, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Sounds like what would happen when using something other than the machine=svga_s3 setting. Otherwise, dunno, never heard of anyone having that problem before.

Hmm... Nope, my .conf says svga_s3...

Reply 3 of 4, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I seem to have solved it. Before when I ran the setup, I was choosing "recognize" to have the game detect my display (which it seemed to successfully do, detecting SVGA S3). I tried choosing "VESA" instead and proceeded from there and the game no longer hung at the driver loading, Weird.

Reply 4 of 4, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a very badly coded game indeed (all of the projects from this studio were kind of trainwrecks). The user interface is horrendous too. Candidate for #1 most unintuitive and unergonomic inventory management ever.

For what's it worth, this is my dosbox conf file for this game:

[dos]
ems=emm386

[autoexec]
imgmount d "cd/bigredadventure.cue" -t iso
mount c game
c:
cd BIGRED
d:
d:\sbeff 544 7
d:\adlibmsc
d:\mdrv