VOGONS

First post, by MasterO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Win 7, 64-bit
Dosbox 0.74

http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downlo … warrior-addons/

The above link has the Wanton Destruction add-on installer, but if I try to run swwd.exe (which is a self-extracting winzip installer), I get an error:

"Error 0 running command SETUP.EXE"

So I open up swwd.exe in WinRar and extract all the files to a folder. I then put this folder in my mounted duke32 Dosbox folder and within Dosbox, attempt to run the setup.exe file that is in the wanton folder.

The next problem I run into within Dosbox is "illegal command: win SETUP.EXE". I can open WANTON.EXE normally within Dosbox, but I can't press enter to start the game, because I haven't been able to setup the keyboard using wanton's setup.exe.

Is there anyway to install this addon using Dosbox, then? Eduke32 does not currently support Shadow Warrior or its add-ons yet (even though it is being currently worked on).

Also, am I correct in assuming that swwd.exe is a Windows 95 program and cannot extract normally in Dosbox?

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MasterO wrote:

The next problem I run into within Dosbox is "illegal command: win SETUP.EXE".

Any command of that nature would be generated by a program that requires Windows. So what happens if you run the program in Windows?

Reply 2 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are you trying to run it from the Duke3D folder? The addon requires the full version of Shadow Warrior.

To run it in DOSBox, all you need to do is:

1. Take the Wanton.Dat and WT.GRP files from the extracted files
  2. Copy them over to your Shadow Warrior directory
  3. Rename Wanton.Dat to Wanton.exe
  4. Run the new Wanton.exe.

Wanton.dat is the actual DOS executable that you need. The rest of the files in that archive are some useless (probably 16-bit Windows) front-end.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 6, by MasterO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Why are you trying to run it from the Duke3D folder? The addon requires the full version of Shadow Warrior. […]
Show full quote

Why are you trying to run it from the Duke3D folder? The addon requires the full version of Shadow Warrior.

To run it in DOSBox, all you need to do is:

1. Take the Wanton.Dat and WT.GRP files from the extracted files
  2. Copy them over to your Shadow Warrior directory
  3. Rename Wanton.Dat to Wanton.exe
  4. Run the new Wanton.exe.

Wanton.dat is the actual DOS executable that you need. The rest of the files in that archive are some useless (probably 16-bit Windows) front-end.

I had wrongly assumed that setup.exe was a DOS executable, when it's actually for Windows.

Renaming Wanton.Dat to Wanton.exe... Now that's something I would not have guessed. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, is there a way to add that info to the DosBox Wiki? It would certainly be very helpful info for anyone who wants to play WD.

Reply 6 of 6, by drav22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You could also get the Shadow Warrior DosBox Launcher, it comes with Wanton Destruction, Park, and a few other mods, a whole slew of maps, and a multiplayer setup. It's pretty big though, get it here: http://buildgamedosboxlaunchers.weebly.com/sh … x-launcher.html