VOGONS

First post, by ajc138

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I just discovered DOSBox after I had a hankering to see if I could play some really old games. I downloaded v0.74 and installed it but when I ran it, all that appeared was a blank screen. So instead of seeing
xscreenshot_011.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.Aymh2tvLpi.png

as I expected, I see
screen_zpswnhdjeky.png

I've spent all afternoon searching this forum and the web for solutions and have not found any. I've tried modifying numerous options of the config file, disabling windows firewall, uninstalling & resintalling in a different location and turning off my AV software but nothing has worked - the blank screen comes up every time. I'm running:

• Windows 8.1
    i7 4710 2.5 GHz
    16gb RAM
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

I'm hoping it's something simple that I'm just missing. Fwiw, I'm neither a programmer nor a dos pro; I'm just a typical computer user. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's usually either that you need a different output optin in dosbox config or the nvidia driver messing things up. Some kind of setting inthe nvidia stuff

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ajc138 wrote:

I've spent all afternoon searching this forum and the web for solutions and have not found any. I've tried modifying numerous options of the config file, disabling windows firewall, uninstalling & resintalling in a different location and turning off my AV software but nothing has worked - the blank screen comes up every time.

There have been numerous threads here describing this same problem, swiftly remedied by changing output=surface to output=opengl or output=openglnb. Is that something you tried?

Reply 3 of 5, by ajc138

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

There have been numerous threads here describing this same problem, swiftly remedied by changing output=surface to output=opengl or output=openglnb. Is that something you tried?

I had not tried that but thanks Jorpho, that did the trick!

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

... I am rather puzzled as to how you managed to "spend all afternoon searching this forum and the web for solutions" and "tried modifying numerous options of the config file" without coming across that. I hesitated even to suggest it.

Reply 5 of 5, by ajc138

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because for some reason I thought that setting dealt with the window that the game would be played in and not the actual dosbox window. So I got it stuck in my head that wouldn't affect anything so I didn't change it. Obviously a mistake.