VOGONS

First post, by oldgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my new xcom: UFO defense (the first one) CD just arrived. I'm having 2 problems that might be related.

When i start a new game and go in to my base and then the research screen, if i start a new project and allocate any number of scientists the game hangs. I have tried the Full and Normal cores, all combinations of EMS and XMS, running setup with no sound at all, and increasing the memory up to 64mb. In all cases the game hangs in exactly the same place. I haven't checked to see where else it hangs.

The 2nd problem is that the install scripts on the CD don't seem to work very well. They are mostly .bat files and have commands like:

if %1 "==" goto NOWAY
and
md %1\game_1 > nul

from the context is looks like %1 is supposed to be either the current directors or the install dir -- which is never asks you for. So i was wondering if maybe this is a dos command or syntax that isn't supported? and maybe a bad install that is causing the crashes.

thanks in advance for any help.

Reply 1 of 2, by oldgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

btw, i have confirmed part of the second problem. the file redirection operator (i think, don't know the right term) doesn't seem to work.

"echo test > 1" should put the word test in a new file 1, and in dosbox it doesn't. Is there a different syntax for this operation or is this not supported. If not supported are there any plans to add this function?

thanks,

Reply 2 of 2, by oldgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

got it working!

normal and full core hang in the same place, but dynamic core was the ticket! If any of you want me to find out more information tell me what to do and i'll do it, but for now i'm happy to play xcom again!

(i know it looks bad replying 2 times to my own post but i also solved my own problem so there!) 😁