VOGONS

First post, by MechanoMK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure what the official term would be for it, but i get a sort of smearing effect in the opening videos. As anything moves, there is a dotted trail left behind as if the video isn't updating properly or just getting really pixelated.

Examples:
https://68.media.tumblr.com/7b2a285152fd47c7b … 23e1o1_1280.jpg
https://68.media.tumblr.com/6ae0171403edb375a … 23e1o2_1280.jpg

I've looked at a Let's Play on youtube and didn't see any of the same artifacts so i should be able to fix it? Normally i would just uncompressed the vid file with Rad Tools (since it uses smackply) but sadly all the game files are hidden away in .dat files. But anyways...

Things i've tried:
Changing the render to overlay and surface. Opengl just crashes dosbox for me.
Changing the video card to the other svga vesa options. svga_s3, vesa_oldvbe & vesa_nolfb are the only ones that work.
Scale doesn't seem to matter for svga, at least none of the scale modes are showing for me so i just have it on the default 'normal2x'.

About the extend of what i can think of unless i need some updated dll for video playback in dosbox? I'm at a loss how to spruce up those vids and eliminate those weird effects.

Using Dosbox 0.74 with D-Fends v1.4.4
My rig:
intel core i7-4790k
16gb memory
Nvidia GTX 980
Windows Professional 7 64 bit

Reply 1 of 2, by DarkLord79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry in my view the images are perfectly fine. Those were the graphics back in the days. I guess I see the stripes below the ship and the squirt of pixels on the other shot but I have/see the same on my rig. Note that pre-rendering to low resolution especially with limited/paletted colors (256) produces a lot of artifacting/color-banding especially considering that the frames had to be encoded as a video with codecs that lagged lightyears behind the technical capabilities of MP4/x2something and the likes we have now.

I also don't know what YT videos you watched/are referring to but it is very likely that some contrast/gamma issue, some automatic filter or gaussian blur of either the video-editing software or the YT uploader washed/beautified the artifacts away.

That's what I think.

Regards, Markus