VOGONS

First post, by fltcaptriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having a few problems with Lemmins Chronicles (Lemmings 3 or all New Worlds of lemmings depending on where you are). AT first I couldn't get it to install it always gave me a runtime error. I manually put the files on the Hard drive to see if that would help, still runtime error. I unset redonly on all of the files after I noticed something in the other dos box window about users.dat being read only. after I unset that I could run the install off the hardrive and setup the sound for the game. I ran the game and it blinks on the first screen of the opening movie and won't move on till you hit space bar. That I can live with. But when I tried to play the first level the lemmings died as soon as it started. they dropped a few centimeters from the doorway and then they just died. I am using a CD version if it matters. Any other questions please email or post a reply. I look forward to hearing everyone elses thoguhts on this.

-Matt

Reply 1 of 17, by James P

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you running the game on Win9x, or somthing like WinXP (with dosbox)?
When I try it on dosbox ( I've got WinXP), I get the same problem (Lemmings die just after they enter the level). I'm hoping this gets fixed somehow in the next release. 😀
BTW, I don't think it being on cd makes a difference, as I've got it on floppies ( four 1.44mb HD disks).

Reply 5 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Same thing for me, I'm using Windows 98SE.

I noticed that, when choosing "None" in the Soiund Card selection, the game works perfectly. Also, when changing the sound blaster card type in Dosbox to "spbro2", it seems that there's no error when nuking a level.

So, this is the sound that is crashing the game.

There's a way to play the game with sounds and musics without crashing it?

Reply 8 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope. It doesn't change anything, it's like I selected "None".

I heared that if using the original CD of the game, the game seems to work well. So, if someone here knows what contain the CD, maybe it would be very helpful!

Reply 9 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I tried to engrave the music tracks of the original CD from a website on a blank CD and tried tu run the game. There's an error at the start of the game:

Error 50.34 : CD Device I/O error 8000

Then, if I turn off the music in the Install menu, the game works perfectly but there's no music (the sounds works).

What causes the error above? Each track number are the same than on the original CD. The only thing is that I engraved mp3 files. Should I convert them in wav files?

Reply 11 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried and it doesn't work anymore.

Strange thing, I inserted a normal CD music and it worked!!! But why my CD didn't???

I really don't understand! 😕

Reply 12 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because you need to burn the tracks as uncompressed Redbook CD Audio tracks and not as data tracks with MP3s on them. If your CD plays in a standard Audio CD player, then it will probably work with the game.

Reply 13 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is what I did!
Each track are in .CDA and it doesn't work either.

I have converted the mp3 files in wav with the same rate than a normal CD Player: 44100hz 16-bit Stereo

Then, I engrave them on CD in normal music tracks (*.CDA) and it doesn't work!

Reply 14 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you say *.CDA do you mean you renamed them to .CDA files, or do you mean that you told your burning software that you were making an audio CD instead of a data CD?

The *.CDA files you see on an audio CD when you browse it in Windows aren't really files. Windows makes them appear to be files so that you can more easily access them. You can think of the .CDA files as virtual shortcuts to the real audio tracks on the CD.

The bottom line is that you have to explicitly tell your burning software to make audio tracks instead of data tracks.

Reply 15 of 17, by DragonsLover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I reexplain:

I told to my program that I engraved the MP3 files as an Audio CD which I can play them in any CD players. But, when I try the CD in the game, it doesn't work! The little thing is that the first track is supposed to be DATA tracks, but I haven't the contain of the data. I tried putting an empty audio track or by putting files of the game, with no success.

I'll retry later to see, it was a long time ago I haven't touch to this.

Finally, the only thing I should put on the CD are Audio tracks, right?

Reply 16 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends on what the game expects. Most games with audio tracks have the game data on track 1 (ISO 9660 filesystem) and then audio tracks for track 2 and up.