VOGONS

First post, by ARMADoN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to mount this game, but that no success.
game loaded with big lags, after waited 5.153 min, i see black window on display then closed this window
What i do wrong?
plz help!
ps sorry for bad english
pss dosbox 0.61

Reply 1 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It would be probably better to try to run BLOOD natively in Windows (VDMSound, you also need some patch - search VOGONS, I remember seeing some infos about the game).
I just tried the version from the Home of Underdogs in the current DOSBOX CVS on my Athlon 1 Ghz:
- it runs, but even with the lowest visual quality it is rather slow (well, I think that VESA modes do not work at all but they would be unusable anyway because of speed)
- it seems that the game crashes with dynamic core after some time

If you have high end computer you may be able to run it in DOSBOX so that it is somehow playable, but nevertheless I think that DOSBOX is not the best choice for it.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 7, by ARMADoN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2 mirekluza
i have high-end computer
2.8 Ghz 😈 and other new shit
what the best choice for blood ?
i am waiting more time (20 min) and i see that (see attachment file)
its VERY SLOW !!!!!!!!!
in my old computer i dont see that lags 😀
ps thx

Attachments

• Filename
    ohhhh.jpg
    File size
    73.15 KiB
    Downloads
    140 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I am using the current CVS version (not 0.61), so there may be difference and the BLOOD version: One Unit: Whole Blood 1.21 downloaded from Underdogs.

As far as slowness is concerned:
BLOOD seems to behave rather strangely in relation to emulated number of cycles in DOSBOX. For example when using 4000 cycles the game seemingly froze during start (menu with dripping blood, but nothing changed - blood was not dripping - perhaps you experince similar effect). The game started to react when I increased number of cycles significantly (I do not know where the border is)
So e.g. set number of cycles to 18000, start the game and then lower number of cycles so that sound does not skip.
The above mentioned concerns "normal" core, "dynamic" runs quicker but it crashes occasionaly.

Other things to watch:
- choose the lowest available resolution
- use the least demanding sound card (I think it would be GUS, but it did not work for me, so I used simple SoundBlaster, 4 voices)
- set music card to General Midi
- keep to the recommendation for running resource demanding games (see the Dosbox Guides forum): fullscreen, 16 bit desktop etc.

Judging from the way it runs on my 1 Ghz Atlon I think it should be playable on 2.8 Ghz.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 7, by ARMADoN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

but how chandge cycles ? 🙁 (i dont undertand many thing in README)
Whether installation win 98 will solve a problem? (i will can play in blood ?)
VERY big thx again 😀
for help newbie 😢

Reply 5 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

From README:
CTRL-F11 Slow down emulation (Decrease DOSBox Cycles).
CTRL-F12 Speed up emulation (Increase DOSox Cycles).
And please check "Dosbox Guides" forum, there is a newbie guide there.

As for other possibilities to run Blood (without DOSBOX): search forums here on VOGONS, you will find more information.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 7, by Teller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried dosbox for blood and never got it working well

Try this it was excellent

http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/

If you want to increase the res you play blood at on xp you may be interested in this link

patch for WinXP/2000 monitor issues