VOGONS

First post, by Lysander

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm new to DosBox and not terribly computer-literate at the best of times, so please bear with me if this question seems naive.

I've managed to download and unpack Master of Orion 1, the first version, and also managed to get it running with DosBox. When I first configured the game however, using the old archaic menus, I seem to have mismanaged setting up the sound correctly. I must have made a choice from the drop down menu of old sound cards that isn't supported by DosBox, because there is neither sound nor music in the game. I cannot reconfigure the game because you only get to do that one time apparently, when you first run it.

Does anyone know of a way I can go back in to the MOO configure options without re-installing it and starting over? Or alternatively, a way I can configure DosBox so that it just chooses a sound system associated with the game and uses it?

Again, the game is playable, but I remember the sounds and music fondly and I'd love to get those running if possible. If you have a method of making that work, please be as verbose as possible and assume I know very little about what I'm doing.

Thx!

Reply 1 of 8, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need to run INSTALL.EXE. It comes with the game and you need to run it in DOSBox. You'll be given an option to Reconfigure Hardware Options. Choose "SoundBlaster Pro (later)" for both. It doesn't matter if you don't have a Sound Blaster in your computer. DOSBox emulates one (i.e. a virtual sound card), essentially translating the game's audio to audio that Windows can play out of your real sound card.

As for all of the other settings--address, IRQ and DMA--I'm not sure if the correct settings will be autodetected or not. You might try leaving all of those on their pre-set values, saving and then launching the game. If you don't have music and/or sound, go back into Install.exe and choose an address of 220 for music, then the same 220 for sound, plus 7 for IRQ and 1 for DMA. Save and try the game again. If you're missing sound effects, go back in and set IRQ to 5, instead.

At some point, you could also try the General MIDI or MT-32 options for music. That can sound better, but may be less to your liking if your memories don't come from those modes and you don't want to do extra configuration to make them sound better. For now, set it up for Sound Blaster and if you're not satisfied with how it sounds, say so and I or someone else can help you out some more.

Reply 2 of 8, by Lysander

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Osprey,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to be such a novice, but how exactly do I run install.exe in DOSBox? Do I just run it as if I were running the game itself? To launch the game, after I mount the C: drive I type "CD Orion" and then "Orion" again after the prompt. Is that how I run install.exe? Would it be "CD orion" and then "install.exe"?

Lastly, if I run install.exe correctly and the correct settings are not autodetected, how do choose the addresses, IRQ and DMA?

Thanks for answering this, and I apologize again for being so relatively clueless.

-Lysander

Reply 3 of 8, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, run it as if you're running the game. After the "CD Orion", run "Install" (instead of "Orion"). When you're in the install program, you can use the mouse to select options. When everything is selected the way that you want it, click on the OK button to move to the next screen.

Reply 4 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that you should ask DOSBox questions in the DOSBox forums. A mod might be kind enough to move this for you.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers