VOGONS

dark sun 2: wake of the ravager

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Jason

User metadata

ok i just downloaded dosbox today so im a bit new, the game i wanted to play is "dark sun 2: wake of the ravager" i used to play shattered lands when i was a kid 🤣, anyway, downloaded ravager, couldint get it to work through my winxp system so i got dosbox, well, figured out th emounting thing so i mount directly to C:\darksun2 anyway, when i save, it never acually saves, not sure whats going on, tried doing the attrib -r in the command prompt through windows.. no help. I'm not using a cd-rom so not sure whats happening.

Edited by mirekluza: title, moved to Games/Apps

Reply 3 of 24, by Guest

User metadata

ive already seen alot of its bugs, such as in the first level trying to go into the sorrows on the sidequest everytime i try to go through the wall where the umber hulks kidnapped people... it just sends me in an endless loop to the begining of the sorrows.. tried making a save directory.. seems to be working will keep updated thanks. I'm looking for patches now.

Reply 4 of 24, by Guest

User metadata

ok, ive given up, really, i have! I cant finish darksun 2 because of its incessant bugs, dont know if its just my version or not. Now i cant get into the bottom levels of the mines because of the same looping problem i encountered in the sorrows.. ive tried three different patches none of them worked, if anyone knows where i can get a good version download of dark sun 2 please.. im desperate 🤣.. thanks.

p.s.
any good freeware sites?

Reply 6 of 24, by tchristensen81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I realize this is an older topic to post on, but I have a related question and I'm hoping some of the people who originally wrote this will reply.

I don't have any issues with the game yet, because I can't get the game ro run.

I have the CD Version that they released as a the Masterpiece Collection (they are patched, yay). Anyway, my problem is just getting the game ro run. I've tried it with and without D-Fend and maybe I just don't know enough about this to make this work, but can ANYONE help me. I want to get both running so I can start playing them both.

Reply 8 of 24, by tchristensen81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I get as reads

Mel Fatal Error #: 26 Trap #: 16
Mel Real Mode Version 2.2.7, 10/14/94
Error Message: DSP Detect Fail

That's what I get when I just try to run it in DosBox, mounting the F: drive as the CD Rom of course because it looks for that.

Now when I run it in D-Fend (a DosBox Win 32 Frontend) I've tried it with every setting I can imagine.

Render Modes:
Surface
Overlay
OpenGL
OpenGLib

Video Card:
VGA (Default doesn't show these games right, it screws with the colors)

Resolution:

Scale:
none
Normal2x
advmame2

I have the amount of Dos Memory turned up to 256MB

Enable XMS
Enable EMS

CPU Clock Cycles

CPU Core
Dynamic

I hope this is enough information, I'm sorry so much of it is from a front end but I'm really not comfortable with some of the memory modes and such in Dos. I know how to work my way around it, not work too much with it. Sometimes I just miss my old 486 Windows 95 machine, but that ran this game poorly too 🤣 😀

If anyone can help, please do so, I just wanna play the game.

Reply 9 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dsp thingie => sound problem

try configuring the game run without sound or disable the dynamic core.

sound detection under dynamic core is not reliable.
Lower also the amount of memory to 32 mb

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 24, by Sigurd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having troubles getting the game to run as well, I get "file not found path = " followed by a long string of ascii characters
The command I am using for dosbox to run is
C:\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.exe -fullscreen -c "MOUNT C C:\RAVAGER" -c "MOUNT d d:\ -t cdrom" -c "C:"

I've even tried taking out RAVAGER so that it just mounts C:\ but I get the same message.

Any ideas?

Reply 16 of 24, by Sigurd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NM that. I was running DSUN not Ravager. It is working but very strangely. The opening movie sound came on but the screen was blank. Then after that was done the movie played without sound. Only thing I can think is that I chose to load the video and sound at the time of install and not "When needed"

Reply 17 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might want to try just monting C: and D: (instead of C:\RAVAGER and D: ) and then re-installing the game from within DOSBox. If that works, make sure to mount the same way from then on (might want to put the commands in the autoexec section of your dosbox.conf or whatever)

Reply 18 of 24, by Sigurd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the game to run, it is a little (a lot actually) choppy in the movement of the characters and the movement of the mouse but it works. And I found a parameter to add to the batch file so that the intro does not play, that way I wont have to listen to it and then watch it before the main menu comes up. 😀

Reply 19 of 24, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Sigurd wrote:

The opening movie sound came on but the screen was blank. Then after that was done the movie played without sound.

I have a vague memory of having problems with intro when mounting CD without -ioctl or -aspi (standard SDL CD ROM support is not enough here).

Mirek