VOGONS

First post, by Samppu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, first post, hello all or something. I'd want those groovy Bullfrog versions of the midi music. The game has basically several versions of midi music composed, the awesome bullfrog ones are used when AWE32 is set as midi device. The ones heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKG9_17atPI
But, apparently AWE32 emulation is not supported? And right now I can't afford to buy a dos gaming pc. How could I get the game to use the midi files that use bullfrog's samples, without having AWE32? Guess that'd be another solution..I tried converting BULLFROG.SBK to a sf2, used it with general midi set as device, but the cool samples aren't used for mpu401 midi track versions..

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, DOSBox doesn't emulate the AWE32 currently.

Currently the only emulatable-AWE solution is PCem but you'll have to dump your AWE ROM to use that. Hi-Octane's special midi works there (albeit inaccurately in the current release as the EMU8K isn't that well documented)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just spent some time renaming files, hacking files and so on and couldn't manage to fool the game into playing the AWE32 samples. When it detects that something is wrong, it simply reverts to FM synthesis. I don't know what I'm missing, though, since I originally played the game in FM and the General MIDI sounds amazing and good enough to me.

BTW, it's nice to revisit this game and finally be able to play in 640x480. I remember that that mode was pretty choppy on my P90 back in the day, forcing me to play in 320x200, instead. 640x480 is now buttery smooth.

Reply 3 of 3, by Samppu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm alright, thanks for the replies. Guess imma be waiting patiently for the fan port of Hi-Octane. Two guys reverse engineered the game and are working on making a port, that version should be having the bullfrog version of midi music available. It's not that the mpu401 tracks are bad or anything, but the awe32 versions are on a whole other level of funkiness 😀