VOGONS

First post, by Netskimmer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard: ASUS P4P 800

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (not overclocked)

RAM: 512 DDR

VID Card: ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 MB AGP

Sound Card: Creative Audigy 2

Game: Gateway II: Home world

Problem: When the game gets to an animated sequence DOSBox crashes with this error: PIT: Timer 0 set to unsupported bcd mode

Reproducibility: Every time animations play

Sound Mode: selected Sound blaster in setup menu (?)

Video Mode: Default resolution (don’t think you can change game res. setting.) Game only offers software rendering. DOSBox res. is default setting

Ver. of Emulator: DOSBox 0.60 & 0.61, no sound emulator

Steps: There are other threads about this that suggest skipping the animations will avoid the crash. This works but you don’t get the see the story unfold.

According to the other posts and the DOSBox web sit, this game works for ver. 0.60 but not 0.61 so I downloaded 0.60 but I am still having the same problem.

I have read the DOSBox readme file.

Reply 1 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

> unsupported bcd mode
QBIX implemented BCD mode at the beginning of March. So wait for the next version.
It could not work in 0.60 without skipping animations.

Mirek

Reply 2 of 4, by Netskimmer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, DOSBox website game compatability section said it was fullty supported. Guess I'll wait for ver 0.62 to come out.

Not to go careening of topic or anything but why are the version numbers in 0.xx form? Seems kinda unorthodox.

Reply 3 of 4, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Netskimmer wrote:

Oh, DOSBox website game compatability section said it was fullty supported. Guess I'll wait for ver 0.62 to come out.

It depends on the opinion of the person inserting the entry. IMHO if it was possible to skip animation (I do not have the game), it could be viewed as runnable game. He should just add there a comment about it.

Netskimmer wrote:

Not to go careening of topic or anything but why are the version numbers in 0.xx form? Seems kinda unorthodox.

This is the decision of DOSBOX developers. QBIX once explained it: they do not want to run version to high numbers as many software producers do. The product should be fully usable in version 1.0, not in version 4.0 or 6.0. The DOSBOX 1.0 will be released when there will be no longer big changes/improvements. It does not mean that the development will stop, but it will be mature program then (not just an early beta version or worse as it is case with many other programs - once more I remember Bochs).

Mirek