VOGONS

First post, by skip_wiley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So - full disclosure - I'm very new to DOSBox. I recently unearthed my original twin floppy disks of Wizardry 7 CotDS and thought it'd be great to play again. I haven't touched it in nearly 20 years. I downloaded DOSBox 0.74 as it seems to be the most highly-recommended DOS vm out there for old games. I've created a local folder and mounted it as "C" within DOSBox. Then I mounted my USB floppy drive as "A." I ran the install using the default settings suggested by SirTech and both floppy disks. It told me the game was successfully installed and, sure enough, I now have a "DSAVANT" folder full of game files in my mounted drive. However, when I attempt to run the game, all I get is a "Reboot requested, quitting now." message followed by a termination of DOSbox. I've ensured that I have full NTFS permissions to the mounted folder. But I don't know what else to check. All the forums that mention this error don't seem to have a resolution besides some clown downloading a pirated warez version or buying it on GoG. I want nothing to do with the so-called abandonware and I have no intention of paying for something I already own (I actually own it twice since I also have Wizardry Gold). I'd just really like to make this original version work. Can anyone suggest a work-around for this reboot requested business? Many thanks!

Reply 4 of 5, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 5 of 5, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
skip_wiley wrote:

Wow. OK. I guess I solved the issue. There was some pentium patch that I needed to apply from 2 decades ago. Good deal.

The original executable is encrypted and causes reboots with pentium+ machines.
There is no need for anyone to install this if you use the cputype setting from below.

ripsaw8080 wrote:

In most cases, games with a "Pentium patch" use prefetch tricks; and a setting of cputype=386_prefetch can help with running the unpatched version.