VOGONS

First post, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm wondering, how can I play the redbook audio from the CD? I assume I can mount the bin/cue image within DOSBox, but is it possible to rip the tracks and put them in a folder instead?

Reply 1 of 9, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lukeman3000 wrote:

I'm wondering, how can I play the redbook audio from the CD? I assume I can mount the bin/cue image within DOSBox, but is it possible to rip the tracks and put them in a folder instead?

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Cuesheet

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 2 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not aware of a way to play ripped CD music in DOSBox, but ScummVM has that ability. Rip the tracks and then, in the options for the game in ScummVM, add the path to the ripped tracks to the Extra path on the Paths tab. Hopefully, that'll work with the CD-ROM version of the game files. If it doesn't, then you may have to create an Ultimate Talkie version of the Special Edition, which allows for using the CD-ROM soundtrack in ScummVM (not DOS, though).

Reply 3 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You most certainly can play ripped tracks in DOSBox. Didn't you even bother to read the page Yesterplay80 linked to?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

You most certainly can play ripped tracks in DOSBox. Didn't you even bother to read the page Yesterplay80 linked to?

Do you even bother trying to be polite and helpful or are you too busy pretending to be a moderator and criticizing people's posts?

Reply 5 of 9, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Osprey, when you mention creating an ultimate talkie version, are you referring to this utility? http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html.

I'm also interested in generating the best of the best version (mt-32 music in sync with intro sequence, music fades with scene transitions, plus talkie voices and sound effects, and original art).

Much thanks for

Reply 6 of 9, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lukeman3000,
If you have a debian/ubuntu/rasbian system with access to the bin cue, here's a script that will rip the audio tracks (to ogg) and lift out the data iso. You can crank up the quality value to 5 or more)
https://gitlab.com/krcroft/rompy/blob/master/pc/cd_to_ogg.sh

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Osprey, just because you‘ve been contradicted doesn’t mean you can lash out. collector is right that you can do it in DOSBox and that the link for it has been posted just above.
Of course this leads one to wonder if you read the post above yours.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote:

Osprey, when you mention creating an ultimate talkie version, are you referring to this utility? http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey1.html.

I'm also interested in generating the best of the best version (mt-32 music in sync with intro sequence, music fades with scene transitions, plus talkie voices and sound effects, and original art).

Much thanks for

Yes, that's the one. You'll need the 2009 Special Edition version of the game for that. You can get some of the features with any old version of the game, though, since you can have MIDI + Adlib with NewRisingSun's patch.

Dominus wrote:

Osprey, just because you‘ve been contradicted doesn’t mean you can lash out. collector is right that you can do it in DOSBox and that the link for it has been posted just above.
Of course this leads one to wonder if you read the post above yours.

I wouldn't have minded if I were politely contradicted, but I was hardly contradicted, because I simply said that "I'm not aware of" how to do it, and the response was hardly polite. I do mind someone saying "didn't you bother..." when I was just trying to help someone. Being right doesn't mean that you can get away with being rude.

Reply 9 of 9, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that's the one. You'll need the 2009 Special Edition version of the game for that. You can get some of the features with any old version of the game, though, since you can have MIDI + Adlib with NewRisingSun's patch.

Osprey - that worked perfectly, thank you! (and thanks to NRS for the excellent sound patch!)