VOGONS

First post, by Awesomeg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I try to enter the castle in Chapter 6 but each time I click on the castle door at Schloss Ritter it says "Error opening resource 65535.snd Press Enter to retry Esc to quit". But I can't enter even after pressing Enter many times. To date I haven't found even one website that describes the problem.

My system is;
Processor : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.oo GHz 1.80 GHz
Installed memory(RAM): 2.00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating system

I bought the game from Steam. I do not have DOSbox but it automatically loads the game using Dosbox each time I start the game.

Reply 1 of 1, by dreammaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Awesomeg wrote:

I bought the game from Steam. I do not have DOSbox but it automatically loads the game using Dosbox each time I start the game.

It's always possible, though unlikely, that the Steam download got corrupted. You could always try uninstalling and re-installing the game. Alternatively, your savegame could be corrupted, so you could try going to a slightly earlier savegame and see if you can play through that point.

Another unfortunate possibility is that the game is simply bad for you. I know that the GOG releases of many of the Sierra games included slightly dodgy fan patches to work around timing issues and other bugs, but ended up introducing new ones. As far as I'm aware, the Steam releases then did the same, so it's possible you're simply running afoul of a new bug. You might want to see on the #scummvm IRC if there's any suggestions, but I suspect that there wouldn't be other that simply restarting the game from scratch and seeing if it happens again.

Another alternative would be to run the game in ScummVM. The daily builds (though not the stable releases yet) support both Gabriel Knight 1 & 2, and I know from reading the #scummvm logs on logs.scummvm.org that the SCI engine works around a variety of problems that both the original Sierra games had, as well as ones the recent re-releases introduced.