Rank

Hi there,

My system is as follows:

P4 1.6 GHz
256MB SD RAM
G-Froce 3 Ti200 64MB
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card
WinXP Home Edition SP1

The thing is, DOSBox finds games like Dark Forces / Doom / Duke 3D too 'uber' to run even under my system above. So I was wondering if DOSBox will ever make these games rune 'normal' without needing a P4-3GHz HT+ to play Doom? Windows 98 Second Edition can make Duke 3D and other old games play at normal and perfect speed, but where it fails is you need a very old sound card or sound drivers that have some sort of emulation option in them. DOSBox seems good only for REALLY old DOS games and the emulation of sound cards (which creates perfect game sounds I must add). If I could have a program that emulated old sound cards and ran it beside a game in Win98's DOS mode I think everything would be perfect.

Reply 3 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe in a future DOSBox release when Dynamic Core[/i] will be working better.... I know they are making some improvements. It's hard work and i am grateful for the efforts taken. 😁

Reply 4 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOOM looks playable using dynamic core in CVS on my 1 Ghz Athlon computer. I mention it here as example, for DOOM there are Windows native engines (since its sources were released).

Mirek

Reply 5 of 9, by xbeanx3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While you mentioned that sound card emulator, is there anything that emulates old graphics cards? I know I'm sounding like I want to unscrew all the best parts of DOSBox and take 'em away with me but I would like to know anyway. Thanks.

Reply 6 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Your newest NVidia/Ati card is still compatible with CGA/EGA/VGA. No need to emulate. There are just some problems with using VESA modes. Search to get more information (probably in DOS forum here on VOGONS).

Mirek

Reply 7 of 9, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As Mirek said doom sources were released and people have made native ports for windows. This is also the case of Duke 3d. They're very fast. For doom I use doom legacy. There're are others. For duke nukem I use this one
http://www.rancidmeat.com/project.php3?id=1

Iampiti

Reply 8 of 9, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep there are lots of engines out there.. There was one for JEMM and Privateer but you MUST use a OS like Win95,98, ME, (the old OS software) but it doesn't work in NT or XP if I remember properly.

Yeah on some Nvidia cards the VESA stuff is a little tricky. Blah.

I have a P4 2.4 gHz which actually runs DOOM quite happily in NORMAL core at around 7000 cycles. I don't use Dynamic Core much since to me it's still beta like (may crash DOSBox often).

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.