VOGONS

First post, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to figure out something:

Game's setup program only allows setting ONE Sound Card (so no SB/MIDI combo). It's a damn shame because with SB you get nice SFX & Speech (and shitty music) while General MIDI provides pretty good music. I all but gave up trying to set up both but before that I though to give this board a shoot. Tried SB with 330 port to trick it but it's too smart for that. SETUP/SOUND.CFGs are gibberish to me but perhaps hold the key to this. Any ideas or should I just drop it?

Game is CD-ROM version, not Floppy.

Attachments

• HST Sound Card(s).jpg
    Filename
    HST Sound Card(s).jpg
    File size
    225.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    two setup screens
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Nilex on 2017-09-14, 16:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Roger. Thank you for giving it a nice title. Better that I would have thought of, for sure.

Meanwhile, I found that Dune II had the exact same limitation so Westwood released an unofficial patch to support two sound card combo called Multiple Sound Device Patch. Link leads to a small archive which contains README and few setup files to replace the originals.

Mentioning it in case passing hobbyist traveler gets inspired to produce a hack for HST. Maybe it also helps lucky few who weren't aware.
My hope lives... 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got it working. It ended up being extremely simple. Go into the DRIVERS folder, rename SBPRO2.MDI to something else, make a copy of MPU401.MDI and rename that copy to SBPRO2.MDI. Select "Sound Blaster Pro 16" in the setup program and give it the usual (ex. 220/7/1). The SB16 setting uses the MIDI driver for the SBPro II.

Reply 4 of 5, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Am I glad to have met you 😀 It works! Simple but effective. Thank you!!

Though to share this icon I made for my DOSBox launch shortcut couple of days ago.
I like em simple and recognizable off the bat. This is Fluyt's steering wheel.
Preview (full size):
WMWRh3z.png

Attachments

• Filename
    HST.ico.zip
    File size
    1.77 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 5, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the icon. I make my own personal installers for a lot of games, especially DOS games and ones that I've set up a particular way, so I'll probably use that.

Edit: To put the solution where more people might find it, I've created a page at PCGamingWiki for the game: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/High_Seas_Trader