VOGONS

First post, by Taff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there anyway to scale this game above 3x with a fullscreen image? I've seen some talk of pixel shaders and an hq filter that will scale to whatever multiple, is that code part of Dosbox 0.74?
Uesp's release of Daggerfall is a really convenient way to play, but the aliasing and rough edges at 3x scaling is starting to bother me a bit.

Reply 1 of 2, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some SVN builds allow scaling up to 6x. I believe that DOSBox ECE is one. Try that.

BTW, you might be interested in DaggerXL, which is a 3D accelerated engine for Daggerfall. Be warned that it's pre-alpha (and probably won't ever be completed) and it's probable that it's so buggy and incomplete that the game isn't completable in it, but it's neat to play with.
http://xlengine.com/downloads/

Reply 2 of 2, by Taff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Osprey wrote:

Some SVN builds allow scaling up to 6x. I believe that DOSBox ECE is one. Try that.

BTW, you might be interested in DaggerXL, which is a 3D accelerated engine for Daggerfall. Be warned that it's pre-alpha (and probably won't ever be completed) and it's probable that it's so buggy and incomplete that the game isn't completable in it, but it's neat to play with.
http://xlengine.com/downloads/

Hmm, alright but I had read that some form of "HQ" scaling was technically infinite, that there is a difference between the pixel shading method and standard scaling builtin to Dosbox, something specific to direct3d?
I have to wonder why Dosbox is so slow on implementing an internal rendering scaler? Most other emulators have this feature and it improves things immensely in a way that filtering cannot.
DaggerXL is indeed not in a playable state, I'd put money on Daggerfall Unity hitting completion long before DaggerXL. The projects have different goals of course (XL is more of a purist implementation), but Unity Daggerfall is breathtaking to look at, a truly massive draw distance.