VOGONS

First post, by Bertie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

So I've just found an old copy of a game called Power F1 which I got about 20 years ago. I've managed to get it installed and running through DOSBox but have one key problem - the car won't move! The controls seem fine as the enging accelleration sound changes when I try to move, the steering works and I can change gear, I just can't get the car to actually go anywhere! I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong as the game controls are very basic, and I'm not aware of some magic start button that you have to press to get moving. Has anyone had this and been able to solve it?

For reference there's a demo of the game here which caused me exactly the same problem - http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/power-f1/

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What an annoying game. You can't skip the intro so every time you load the game you have to sit there for 30 seconds, and you can't get back to the menu unless you quit and reload, waiting for another 30 seconds...

Anyway the car won't move until you press P to shift from neutral into drive, or whatever key you have assigned to 'gear up' on the main menu.

Reply 2 of 5, by Bertie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really? I've always found the into to be quite short!

I've tried changing hear already - it allows me to do so (I can switch between neutral, 1 and reverse) but it still doesn't move. Any more ideas?

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 5, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe I'm just impatient 😀

When I press P to shift to 1 then press A to accelerate, the car takes off and automatically shifts into the other gears up to 6. Seems to brake automatically in the corners though because the car slows down even if I keep holding the A key.

Make sure you haven't reassigned your keys on the main menu, it looks easy to do by accident. I used the keyboard icons at the bottom of the screen to reset them to variant 1.

Reply 4 of 5, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malvineous wrote:

You can't skip the intro so every time you load the game you have to sit there for 30 seconds, and you can't get back to the menu unless you quit and reload, waiting for another 30 seconds...

You know DOSBox has a fast-forward function, right (Alt+F12)?

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42