Intel 810e chipset with 4MB
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Win98SE with all the trimmings
Falcon 3.05 with 3.05 fix
Soundblaster sound stutters always, used on radio communications
Only using soundblaster and MPU-401 emulation
Using the default video mode
DOSbox 0.61
If I jack up the block size and decrease the sampling rate to 8MB at 22050 the stuttering is reduced a bit, not a lot. I prefer the sound of 48000 sample rate, though.
This game is a real conventional memory hog, I'm surprised it runs, it won't run in Windows 98SE without DOSbox.
This game has separate modes for joystick, thrustmuster, and CH flightstick. So if you ever get around to improving the joystick support, this would be a real good game to test with.

Reply 1 of 11, by Iron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well lets see. Falcon 3 was released in 1997 I think. computers of that age were around 250MHz I guess.. your computer is a p3 667MHz. I think that's pretty much way too slow for running falcon 3 through an emu. You could try minimizing the qualities, using dynamic core and trying to optimize with the frame skip and cycles.. dont think your computer is fast enough though..

I think you're better off browsing the web for some help running it on your box in REAL dos mode or so. shouldn't be much of a problem since you're running 98. About being a conventional hog I dont know. But I do know that it's possible to get around 600+kb of conventional free when you have cd-rom and sound card drivers loaded. just have to play with the hma and optimize fitting everything possible up and the rest down.

I hope I got the release year right..

Reply 2 of 11, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Um, *cough, cough*, Falcon 3 was released in 1993, which is the era of the 486 at best. Anyway, it has MT-32 support but not general MIDI (it dubs the MT-32 selection "Roland") and it only knows about the original soundblaster. This game is quite old and quite runnable.

I believe you are think of Falcon 4 which is a Windows game if I'm not mistaken.

Reply 3 of 11, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something else interesting about this game - it can make use of a math coprocessor. In order to run the game in the hi-fidelity mode your computer must have a math co pro. If it doesn't detect one it moves the flight sim level down a notch. That's something interesting that you might test DOSBox on as well.

Reply 4 of 11, by Iron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh darn sorry. Heh yeah seems that it was released in 91.. or well maybe it was 93 seems like i cant trust any web pages I find..

I found a demo of the game but seems that it really lacks a big part of the stuff and cant really compare in what you say about it. Only had pc/ad lib/sb sounds etc so dunno about it.

I think for you the best would be trying the cvs version or waiting for the next official release to get working sound. in the cvs you can choose which soundblaster you want to use and this for one might make a difference.

Reply 6 of 11, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yep, you can get a copy of it at mypixels.dk/forums. I build it on a weekly or tenday basis or when I can.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 11, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Altogether the game is 8 MB with the patches. I could send it to someone in two chunks if they want. I really don't think anyone cares about the copyright of this game. Any coding techniques used to write a flight sim for MS-DOS are going to be totally obsolete.

Reply 9 of 11, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The match co pro support does work with DOSbox. Is that accidental or deliberate work on the part of the DOSBox developers?

What doesn't work is the joystick support. Shouldn't the game detect a joystick when running even if I don't have a joystick plugged in?