VOGONS

First post, by RanmaRanma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please help me. I worked hard to aquire a copy of Toonstruck only to find it doesn't work with windows xp. So I downloaded dosbox in hopes to run the game. I have read the readme for the game and dosbox and searched this forum for "toonstruck" but none of those helped me.

Sorry for these details but I desperately need help.

I open dosbox and mount the drive to point to my e drive: "mount c e:\"
Once that is done I type "c:" Now I can only figure out one thing to do from here and that is to install the game. So I type "Install". This is what the dosbox tells me "unable to create the dir "TOONSTRK". It then kicks me back to dosbox and asks me to run install again. So I "CHDIR .." and "install" again. Same thing over and over.

Please tell me how to install this game and get it run. Please. Thank you.

Ranma Ranma de tanma tanma de...

Reply 1 of 8, by RanmaRanma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok making progress. I realized that I should install via the orignial cd. So I went back to dosbox and changed the mount to "mount c c:\burst\toonstrk" then I ran "setup" which now gave me sound (didn't without doing this) and video (same as sound). Alright. So I try to run the game and get "Drive e: is not a cd drive please change drive in setup.config. Ok, so I go into setup and place it like this:

default_drive = E:\
default_dir = C:\BURST\TOONSTRK

The game asks for cd 1 to be inserted. It is so what's the problem?

Reply 2 of 8, by RanmaRanma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Opps wrong thing:

I changed the config file to read "cd=e:\" like it should but it still asks for disc one to be inserted. What gives? Come on please help, I'm trying my best to figure it out on my own. Not like I'm just lazing off.

Reply 7 of 8, by neelz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the game running in Dosbox too, although it runs VERY SLOWLY because it doesn't rupport Linear Frame Buffering (or something like that).

If you have problems with the game not finding the CD, just mount your CD drive to the virtual drive D in dosbox like this.

mount D <insert letter of your CD rom drive here>:\ -t cdrom
eg: mount D I:\ -t cdrom

Now the game will find a D drive, and will load the game. However, I still can't find a way to run it smoothly. I've heard that using VDMsound works, but I haven't tried that yet. If someone happens to have some instructions on how to use VDMsound, I would gladly appreciate it.