VOGONS

First post, by Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this isn't a game problem or anything, but is there a way to edit game saves of old DOS games? And I do not mean by using DOS. I mean is there some editor that isn't too techy. Something that can make the file readable and able to be edited?

Reply 1 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any hex editor.
But the easiest would be Norton Commander or it's russian (which I prefere) version Volcow Commander (VC). Just press F4 (once or twice depending what you want to do) on a file.

Reply 2 of 10, by Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know how to use this. I don't kow even what hex is. Is this a hex editor? I just need something that can make it not a bunch of junk or numbers, but into where I can make my file be on a different level in the game. Or is this possible. I want it not to look like this which it does.

9 Ö ¸ Œ  ž T ’ Q ß3 z; ¡
5 í l
à ô
ÿ ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ™ p ø * &
H t ö \ -
–! ¸ b

Reply 3 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What you want is nonsense. Every game has its own save format (incompatible with anything else). The only universal way of editing is hex editor (but you must know which bytes means what - which is not so trivial to find out).
What you need is a save game editor for a specific game. These often exist (but they are no universal). Search web for it (e.g. fan pages), it has nothing to do with DOSBOX.

Mirek

Reply 5 of 10, by Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys I found something. I simply had to do a web search through google and I found a game save editor for X Wing. You were right mirekluza there is no universal game save editor. I had to find one for a particular game. Thank you. This program is easy. I just press the number of the thing I wanted to do to the file and then select the level, rank, etc. I found this program among other cool things here: http://cd.textfiles.com/tothemaxpcg/HELP/.index.html

Reply 7 of 10, by Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't worry I won't cheat too much (lie). Ya I'll only use it to get past the too hard to figure out missions. (lies again) (almost laughs out loud). It's fun though knowing you can beat the game at any time though.

Reply 8 of 10, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

haha, I don't remember cheating *much* in Star Wars: X-Wing. (slightly off topic) Any of you guys play the first Rebel Assault? Dang that game was annoying/hard. Cool game though.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ya I beat that one without cheating. To prove it I know Darth said something like the Rebels being a force to be recond with or something. I never played the sequal though heard it was good though.