VOGONS

Pirates! Gold

Topic actions

First post, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone know if it's possible to get Pirates! Gold running in DOSbox? It just keeps crashing on start up for me.

Reply 2 of 14, by mr_zen256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Qbix. Would you mind posting the config file you use to run Pirates! Gold? Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind. It wasnt running because I had the memory settings too high. It was on 64megs but works fine when dropped down to 16mb. Cheers

Reply 5 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

if you put 64 mb in dosbox it actually is 65 mb 😀
as dosbox has always 1 mb low mem and you specify the amount of highmem
in the configfile. I think I will change this in the next version as there are more games failing with 64 mb.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 14, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_zen256 wrote:

I guess these old dos games just dont know what to do with themselves for all that extra memory 🤑

It's a typical bug, found in many old programs: when checking the amount of memory, the programs store the # of free KB's in a 16-bit integer, which can hold numbers up to 65535. When having > 64 MB (i.e. 65535 KB) of memory, this overflows, resulting in the error.

JAL

Reply 9 of 14, by damned

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Pirates! Gold keeps on crashing after i start a new career and choose a nationality. Error message is Exit to error: Pagefault didn't correct page. I'm using 0.63 on linux. Tried with nosound / noems etc. Does this game work anymore?

Damned

Reply 10 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Qbix wrote:

if you put 64 mb in dosbox it actually is 65 mb 😀
as dosbox has always 1 mb low mem and you specify the amount of highmem
in the configfile. I think I will change this in the next version as there are more games failing with 64 mb.

Added to the wiki 😎

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 14, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think what Qbix said is right:

64*1024kB=65536kB

You have to substract 1024kB of conventional memory (and also 64kB of HMB) and the result will be 64448kB. And that was what dosbox showed after typing mem when you had set mem=64 in dosbox.conf in dosbox 0.61 for example.

Reply 12 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm yes the amount of ems memory that is.
but there is still that lowmem

Any way the limit is now 63 mb.
1 mb lowmem
63 mb highmem (memsize=63)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 14, by damned

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested Pirates! Gold on my xp laptop, and it works fine, but in linux (fc2) it still crashes on the beginning. Both are using version 0.63 and same game files. Conf files are same in both versions.

Damned

Reply 14 of 14, by mer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, tried the settings above under macosx. Getting my mem=16 set up correctly and everything, but still have installer quiting on me. The x32mem utility on the installer disk also quits when 'checking my memory setup'

Has anyone gotten this running under MacOSX 10.3?

Any tricks?

Thanks,

Ryan