VOGONS

First post, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

Today, I've encountered a weird issue with The Secret of Monkey Island (EGA). I wanted to start playing the game on my new Lucasfilm/LucasArts adventure machine (Retro 1 in my signature) and when reaching the Scumm Bar and opening that door I was greeted with a strangely distorted, screachy, noisy sound. Same for the closing of said door (and all the other doors in town). I am using the patched game (NewRisingSun's Roland + Ad-Lib patch), but checked with the unpatched game too, same issue. The rubber chicken for example sounds OK, I have verified that on one of my other systems with the same files. MIDI music output is routed from my CM-32L to the AWE64 which mixes everything together. The MIDI music sounds fine. I have been playing through the entire Grim Fandango in the past few weeks with no sound issues at all. I have launched Monkey Island 2 (also patched using NewRisingSun's patch) and every sound effect I encountered in the first few minutes sounded OK too. This kind of leaves me baffled. Has someone encountered something similar?

But now, the required information:

• 1. Motherboard: Asus CUBX-E
    2. Processor type and speed: Intel Pentium III 1.1GHz (11.0x100)
    3. Amount and type of RAM: 2x 256MB PC100 CL2
    4. Video board w/ RAM amount and type: 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 PCI (64MB)
    5. Sound board: Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold (CT4390) & Roland MPU-401AT
    6. Operating system: Windows 98SE
    7. Game name (and version, if applicable): The Secret of Monkey Island (EGA)
    8. Description of problem (be detailed: saying "it's jerky" doesn't help, saying "the player sprites seem to be jerky when I'm pressing any of the arrow keys" does): Scumm Bar door (and all other doors in town) open/close sound distorted
    9. Reproducibility of problem (always, only once, always but only on a specific level, etc.): Always
    10. Sound mode used: SB16 emulation (standard settings, MPU401 intelligent, MIDI default)
    11. Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution): Overlay, scaled to 640x480
    12. Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+): DOSBox 0.74
    13. Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!): Oh yes, the Readme was read. This DOSBox installation (game files and config) is in use on several other systems without any issues. I have exchanged speakers for headphones, same issue. I have made a recording using the DOSBox internal recorder, this sounds OK. I have installed the latest drivers from Creative's webpage, no change. I have increased the CPU cycles to 3,000 and 10,000 (normally, I run this game with 1,500), no change. I have switched to sb2 emulation (and opl2), no change. I have decreased the sound hardware acceleration in Windows, this slows down the sound, but it is still not right (and it is only this sound effect that is impacted, others are fine). I have made fresh copies of the original game files, no change. I have closed all background programs before execution of DOSBox, no change.

END OF LINE.

Reply 1 of 1, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have uninstalled the AWE64 Gold and replaced it with a Live! 1024 (CT4760) and now everything works as it always did. Something doesn't really work between DOSBox, the AWE64 Gold and its drivers on this system. I'll move on with the CT4760 then...

END OF LINE.