VOGONS

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I successfully installed Windows 3.1 within Dosbox 0.74. I copied my Civilization II Cd-ROM to an iso and then mounted that .iso as drive D: within DOSBox. This works and shows up properly within DOSBox at startup. When I start the game itself from Windows 3.1, it tells me that it cannot play music unless the CD-ROM is in the drive. However, the disc IS in the (virtual mounted) drive. When I go to Windows 3.1 -> File Manager I see drive D: show up as a CD-ROM drive with the appropriate contents. I can launch the game itself from going to Run -> D:. It's only within the game itself that it seems to be a problem.

In Windows 3.1 Control Panel I don't see any sort of CD ROM driver and my guess it this is what I'm lacking. Any ideas on what driver I'd need or if in fact I have a different problem? I have read that Windows 3.1 doesn't have its own CD-ROM drivers in addition to MSCDEX, and as mentioned it seems to recognize the CD-ROM drive and I have successfully mounted CD-ROM drives with many other DOSBox games (though without Windows 3.1).

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An ISO does not contain CD audio. You'll need to make a .bin and .cue file of your CD for CD audio to work.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 3 of 4, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disregard, I figured it out. Problem is I was mounting the .bin instead of the .cue. For anyone who has a similar problem in the future, you must load the .cue!

Thanks for your help DosFreak!