VOGONS

First post, by Wonzling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently replaying Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession and have encountered a strange problem. When I enter the hut in Barovia with the jeweller's ghost, instead of the conversation with the ghost the starting cinematic with the dreamworks logo is played. I can resume playing by minimizing and maximizing the window after that, but the quest doesn't properly initiate.

I'm using Boxer and don't have any fancy config except mounting my hd and cdrom ("mount c e:\" "mount d j:\ -t cdrom").
Does anybody know what's wrong? Otherwise the game is working perfectly with SB and General Midi Music.

Your ad here!

Reply 3 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The fact that it is patched does not mean that it is bug free. I am not sure about Ravenlofts but Dark Sun games (same company) were famous for their bugginess even with all patches included. As a matter of fact, the official solution for not being able to see the final animation (I think in Dark Sun 2) in the game with the latest patch was to switch before the end to the previous patch. Really nice solution.
In short: does it happen with every animation? If no, then it is very probably a bug in the game (not in DOSBOX). If yes: are you sure you are not using ripped version without animations (or more precisely with all animations replaced by dummys - e.g. that Dreamworks logo)?

Mirek

Reply 4 of 6, by Wonzling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, thanks for the tip about Darksun, I'll try that soon 😀

About Ravenloft: I've already played Raveloft 1 through with the same patches installed and didn't have any problems. But maybe it's DosBox specific.

Your ad here!

Reply 5 of 6, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It maybe a bug in DOSBOX or it may be a corrupted save game. Could you perhaps post here a savegame immediately before the problem appears (as attachment)? Together with the precise information how to reproduce it from the save and information about what version of the game (patches) you are using.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 6, by Wonzling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just did another install without any patches, transferred the saves, and it works there. So I'll just use that install in the case of further problems.

Thanks for the tips, I bow to your superior wisdom 😀

Your ad here!