VOGONS

First post, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've had Black Thorne for a while and it seems to work fine under Dosbox. I recently picked up a Roland MT-200. Basically an SC-55 sound module with a disk drive to play midi files directly on it. I have it connected to my modern day PC through a Roland UMONE mk II usb to Midi cable. So far, everything else that supports general midi or sound canvas has worked excellent! But when getting black thorne setup to use Gen midi for music and loading up the game. It just hangs on the OPL2 driver section loading up. I've other games that use the same driver for their sound and they seem to work fine but this is the first I've encountered with black thorne doing this.

Anyone seen it do this before? I did check the other sound settings wherein I use the SB emulation in dosbox for most other stuff. So I have everything working that I've currently tested minus this one game.

any ideas are greatly appreciated!

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 1 of 3, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So It would appear it has to do with the OPL driver itself. I discovered that if I remove the Midi for music and just go with OPL use for both sound and music, then it works just fine. If I just use Midi by itself it works just fine. Then for some odd reason, after doing that, I was able to go back into setup, choose soundblaster for sound and GenMidi for music and then it started working fine for both? I then went back into setup again, chose SB 16 for sound and genmidi for music and it still worked fine.

Later when I went to fire up Dosbox and play some more Black Thorne, it locked up again. Repeated the above and it works again? Not sure if this is a Dosbox thing or if somehow the OPL driver isn't able to initialize the SB support with Midi until I fire it up without the Midi first? So odd.

Anyone encountered this before?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not familiar with this game, but if you are having trouble with it in DOSBox you should ask in the DOSBox forum so that the right people see it. DOSBox Games/Apps

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers