VOGONS

First post, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, Carrier Command fails to run with a "key disk not found" error. I've tried both running the original disk in A:, and also mounting an image of the disk as a virtual drive. The disk has no errors. Is this game runnable on DOSBox?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 1 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

When does that error happen? Or rather do you need to install the game and then when you run it, this error happens? (maybe you didn't keep the floppy(img) mounted)
Maybe you need to set the label correctly for the floppy.
Does it work in real dos?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no installer. The game is run from the floppy. Label of the floppy is "CARRIER PC". I don't have a real DOS machine to hand now, but will test it there tomorrow.

ETA: Game runs in pure DOS with no problems.

Last edited by Errius on 2018-02-16, 19:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is a switch to the mount command to set a label.

It might be that the game uses some copy protection that will require you to boot dos in Dosbox

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using a bootable MS-DOS 6.22 HDD image, I see that the floppy image has the correct label, but running the game gives me the same key disk error.

I understand there is no way of accessing a physical floppy in this environment?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 6, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox mounts only the files on your physical disk. .IMA-format image files only contain standard sector data but no low-level structures. Keydisk checking routines depend on the latter. Keydisk-protected games are invariably incompatible with (vanilla) DOSBox in their unaltered (uncracked) state.