VOGONS

First post, by radek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A new feature found in Debian 9 (with KDE) is hard crashing Albion in DosBox. You cannot even install: command "install" in DosBox and DosBox will crash immediately so that you get no hints what is going on. I know that this behavior is caused by Debian. In Debian 8, the same version of DosBox (0.74) run Albion perfectly.

Is there something to save Albion?

HW and SW info: Dell Inspiron 17R, Intel i7, 8 GB memory, 1 TB disc, Albion CD loaded from the disc as an .iso, drive C:/ limited to 250 MB (Albion cannot install on a big disc).

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It could be that you are now on 64bit and were on 32bit before.
Quick test: start Dosbox and enter the command "core dynamic".

Best is to build Dosbox from current SVN

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like the DOSBox debian package includes changes since 0.74.

Are you sure that you're using the same package of DOSBox as on the old box? Looking at the debian packages for DOSBox there are several.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by radek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. 64-bit is not guilty. Debian 8 has been run on my 64-bit Inspiron as well.
2. I am not, naturally. I only see the same version of DosBox (0.74) I have seen in Debian 8.

[edit] added info
The "core" command says "auto"
Entering "core dynamic" crashes DosBox immediately. No complaints on possibly bad param. No hints.

[edit] added important info
see Debian bug report 857341.
It seems that version 0.74 isn't simply 0.74 in Debian. The "official" 0.74 is, in fact, 0.74-4.2+b2, which seems to be featured with the bug reported above. The bug should be fixed in 0.74-4.3 but this version is available only for Debian 10 (testing) or Ubuntu. Or is there some backport to Debian 9?

Reply 4 of 8, by radek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it is the "core dynamic" bug in Debian 9.

Bypassing the bug: imgmount the albion.iso, set core normal, now install. Passes. Play. Passes, at least, the game starts. I haven't checked whether the video sequences will run but let us hope they will. Oh,well.

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, you misunderstood me, I didn‘t refer to 64bit hardware but 64bit operating system.

Anyway, building DOSBox from source is not witchcraft and would give you a working DOSBox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 8, by Roger Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
radek wrote:
1. 64-bit is not guilty. Debian 8 has been run on my 64-bit Inspiron as well. 2. I am not, naturally. I only see the same versio […]
Show full quote

1. 64-bit is not guilty. Debian 8 has been run on my 64-bit Inspiron as well.
2. I am not, naturally. I only see the same version of DosBox (0.74) I have seen in Debian 8.

[edit] added info
The "core" command says "auto"
Entering "core dynamic" crashes DosBox immediately. No complaints on possibly bad param. No hints.

[edit] added important info
see Debian bug report 857341.
It seems that version 0.74 isn't simply 0.74 in Debian. The "official" 0.74 is, in fact, 0.74-4.2+b2, which seems to be featured with the bug reported above. The bug should be fixed in 0.74-4.3 but this version is available only for Debian 10 (testing) or Ubuntu. Or is there some backport to Debian 9?

It's not in the backports for stretch, you can see the packages here:
https://packages.debian.org/stretch-backports/allpackages
Next release will probably appear with the stable version of buster.

Reply 8 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Yeah, you misunderstood me, I didn‘t refer to 64bit hardware but 64bit operating system.

Anyway, building DOSBox from source is not witchcraft and would give you a working DOSBox.

Indeed, you can use the Debian build patch* with the latest SVN of DOSBox and create a more up to date DEB package.
http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/dos … 4.debian.tar.xz

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder