VOGONS

First post, by jjlees

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tacked on the below post to a thread I saw in "General," but then I saw it would be more appropriate here. The game is Advanced Civilization by Avalon Hill (a simulation of the board game by the same, not the Sid Meiers games).

I have read the README and the FAQ's and newbie posts. The problem is that the game won't recognize the CD and comments "Unable to locate the Advanced Civilization CD."

I have tried all of the following, after mounting C:
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 0 [after having performed "mount -cd" to find out it is 0]

and, all of the respective combinations of order. The only combination that causes the cd to spool up is the latter, but the same error occurs of "Unable to locate ...".

I have tried to copy the entire contents to the HD and then mount the directory I copied the cd to as the cdrom directory. The same error occurs.

All of the previous work has been on Win2k and Win XP machines. On the XP machine, I also tried to load the game and utilize the right-click->properties->compatibility->open as Win95 option to the same issue.

I saw the game on the list of supported, but for whatever reason I am not able to get it working. Any ideas would be appreciated. And, I apologize if there was something relevant in the newbie guides that I missed.

Thanks,

Dr. J.

Reply 1 of 4, by wisdom_paul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem with AC. I finally got it to run by typing:

mount d Z:\(actual drive letter) -t cdrom -usecd 1(if slave drive) -ioctl(XP)

I then had to run "ac_start" first and "ac_main" second. After this it worked for me.

Reply 3 of 4, by Nikyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With e: as my cdrom, I've tries the following setup and only gotten illegal command errors for ac_start and ac_main

mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl
ac_start
ac_main

mount c: c:\games\adciv
c:
ac_start
ac_main

Reply 4 of 4, by Nikyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1 -ioctl
mount c c:\games\adciv
c:

then type 'ac_start" then "ac_main" at the prompt [no quote marks]

[e: is mycdrom physical drive letter and c:\games\adciv is the directory I used on my hard drive]