VOGONS

First post, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I've been playing Tomb Raider (1996) for several years on DosBox without a hitch... but that was on my old laptop (a Win XP machine). Currently, I have a new desktop, running on Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I use DOSBox SVN r4085. GPU is a GT 740. And now TR is causing some issues.

So here's the deal - I normally use output=opengl because of its good scaling capabilities, however TR's FMV cutscenes cause all sorts of problems when running in fullscreen (screen gets too small, totally black screen, or other distortions appear - "Can't access drawing surface" error messages too). So I tried output=ddraw, which is okay with the FMV's, but it looks really bad - very blocky, heavily pixelated and distorted (I can provide a screenshot, if requested). Curiously, ddraw looks just fine on my office PC, which runs on Windows 10 and has some sort of Intel GPU. But that doesn't help me at all, because I need it to look good on my home/gaming PC.

The workaround I currently use is to switch to windowed mode whenever there is an FMV cutscene... but, as you can probably guess, it's quite annoying. I can't get used to playing in a window, and I don't like the idea of having to be paranoid about upcoming cutscenes and Alt-Entering every time.

So what I need is this: either some way to fix TR's FMV's in output=opengl (fullscreen) or some way to make output=ddraw usable. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

(sorry if my post seems a little messy, it's been a loooong time since I was last active here)

Don't waste your time, or time will waste you...

Reply 1 of 1, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found out that the problems caused by FMV sequences in opengl output have been fixed in the latest SVN (r4095). "Allow 15/16/32 bpp inputs to the opengl output" did the trick 😀

HUGE thanks to whoever did this!

Don't waste your time, or time will waste you...